Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy locks on Win7 server when locking Win account

Evert Homan
Hi, I'm running a Synergy sever on Windows 7. When I go for lunch I tend to lock my Windows account on that machine. This causes Synergy to become unresponsive, and I need to reboot the machine in order to regain control. Is there an option to prevent Synergy from doing this when locking a Windows account? I run version 1.7.5. Thanks!
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi, Do you move your mouse across to another client screen when locking the host win account? If so, the host will lost control. Just stop synergy on client will recovery host control. It's the problem I have now.
  • 1 month later...
Dave Detloff
I am having the same issue and I agree stopping Synergy on the client always resolves the issue. However moving the mouse from the host to the client does not seem to be the trigger. In fact I have been very careful to make sure I do not do this in an effort to discover the cause. I have experimented moving mouse to client after locking and have not been able to force the problem to happen. I have found that if I lock the host with the cursor on the host I cannot move it to the client until I unlock the host. When host loses control of mouse I can still type password on client using host keyboard. When it happens the mouse is always stuck on the border between the host and the client. I have not been able to force the loss of mouse control on the host and I have tried many scenarios. One thing that seems to be most common is it happens when the screens lock due to inactivity rather than me locking them manually (Win L). It is happening in both Synergy 1.7.5 stable and 1.8. Other info Host is Win 10 PC and client is Mac with 10.11.3. Very annoying and never used to happen until I upgraded to 1.7.5.
  • 3 weeks later...
Shenan Stanley
I am glad I am not the only one seeing this. I agree that the location of the mouse pointer (host or client) does not seem to play into whether or not this issue (unresponsive host) occurs. It does seem to demonstrate the issue more if I ALLOW the lock to happen (screensaver, etc.) as opposed to manually locking of the HOST. Yes - stopping Synergy on the client does seem to allow things to work again; luckily I keep a keyboard/mouse connected to the system that is the client where this most frequently happens. However, this is an issue that was added in recent releases. Synergy has advanced a LOT in the past two years and was a great product for much longer than that! This has not put me off from using it at all and I am glad that the issue is not just my systems. ;-) Oh -in the case of where I am seeing it the most: two Windows 8.1 Enterprise systems, 64-bit.
  • 5 months later...
Florent Fievez
This problem is still present with synergy 1.8. The workaround I use is to try press scroll lock when locking my windows master. If I forgot (or the lock occured automatically - configured to 15 minutes in my corporation), I need to stop the client with a local keyboard on it. Perhaps a solution would be to detect lock of the master and activate the same mode as when pressing scroll lock key ?

With default Windows settings, you can not enter a Ctrl+Alt+Del on the Windows lock screen, but you can change your Windows settings to allow this.

Go to the Local Group Policy Editor (Type gpedit.msc in the run menu)

Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Logon Options

Open up the Disable or enable software Secure Attention Sequence option

Set it to Enabled and then select Services and Ease of Access applications below, click OK

You should now be able to issue a Ctrl+Alt+Del to Windows over Synergy while on the lock screen.

On Mac, Fn+Ctrl+Cmd+Delete will act as Ctrl+Alt+Del on a windows secondary screen.

Dave Detloff

I applied the group policy changes recommended (thank you) but there is no change to the problem.

Which is when server screen locked and mouse pointer moved to client, the keyboard only responds on client and mouse responds on neither. My pointer options are set to show location of pointer when I press Cont key and I can see it is stuck on the border of the server screen right next to the client screen and will not respond to mouse movement.

I can hit C-A-D and the login screen comes up I just can not type there. Any typing appears on the client screen

Florent Fievez
With default Windows settings, you can not enter a Ctrl+Alt+Del on the Windows lock screen, but you can change your Windows settings to allow this.

Go to the Local Group Policy Editor (Type gpedit.msc in the run menu)

Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Logon Options

Open up the Disable or enable software Secure Attention Sequence option

Set it to Enabled and then select Services and Ease of Access applications below, click OK

You should now be able to issue a Ctrl+Alt+Del to Windows over Synergy while on the lock screen.

On Mac, Fn+Ctrl+Cmd+Delete will act as Ctrl+Alt+Del on a windows secondary screen.

I'm not sure your workaround cover the problem described in this topic.

For my own case, my setup is:

* One Windows 7 laptop that act as the synergy server

* One linux workstation that act as the synergy client

The problem occurs only when the server (windows 7 laptop) is locked either by hitting + or automatically with screensaver delay. In such situation, if the mouse move to the linux workstation, the problem occurs:

1. The mouse pointer cannot be moved back to the server screen

2. But the mouse pointer is not on the client screen either

3. Due to 1., it's impossible to unlock the windows laptop because the password field cannot have the focus without the mouse

The only thing that can be done (except rebooting), is to disconnect synergy client from the server (with a locally connected keyboard and mouse on the linux workstation because of 2.).

If the mouse is not moved to synergy active screen edge, the server does not loose focus and no problems occurs.

So the workaround I try to apply (when I think about it) is to press on my laptop when I lock it, by doing it the pointer is locked to the server and it cannot loose focus. But it's not a real solution because I need to do it by hand each time I lock (and sometime the lock is automatic after 15 minutes away from computer).

I think the synergy server should be corrected, either by working correctly when locked or by doing the same as whenever the server is locked.

• 1 year later...