Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Place system on non-standard configuration spot

Jasper Rietrae
Hi, I've been using Synergy for a while now to extend my desktop to my laptop, and I've been loving it. A few days ago I purchased a Mac Mini to develop iOS applications and I planned on using Synergy to extend my keyboard and mouse again. So far it's great, I love the project and am happy I paid for this even now. However, with the standard configuration possibilities it's not possible to place the monitor I use for the Mac Mini where it is actually placed in regard to my desktop setup. Here's an illustration: [img]http://i.imgur.com/yELnfN9.png[/img] The 7 monitors are all attached to my desktop computer. The red square is where the monitor is mounted that is connected to my Mac Mini. Right now I have it set up as if that monitor is to the left of monitor number 7, which is obviously not correct. The screen sizes are: 1. 2560x1080 2. 1920x1080 3. 1920x1080 4. 1920x1080 5. 1920x1080 6. 1920x1200 7. 1680x1050 Mac mini monitor: 1920x1200 Could someone tell me how to make this work? Thank you for reading, Jasper
Yuya Fujiwara1491393133
(1) Alignment of seven displays It is just a "setting". Not a physical position. [attachment=0]ScreenShot 2016-01-24 at 1.43.29.png[/attachment] - Upper sides of 7,5,3,4,2 - left sides of 7,1 - lower sides of 1,6 must be aligned. (2) configure links between displays by synergy This is an example. Numbers should be changed as you like. [code] client: right=server(50,100) down=server(10,30) server: down(0,50)=server(30,80) up(30,80)=server(0,50) left(0,50)=client up(10,30)=client [/code]
Jasper Rietrae
Hi Yuya, Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it! I just finished tackling some network issues that caused Synergy to run horribly slow. Everything runs on cable now so this feels a lot better. I have to be very honest with you, I'm not really sure what to do next. I did some googling on how to decide the off-sets but I couldn't find a lot. Is it possible to do this by adding a bunch of screens through the configure menu and then assign 7 of them to my desktop somehow and 1 to the mac? Or do I *have* to do it through a custom config file. If I do have to do it through a custom config file, how do I decide the off-sets as to from where I can enter to the Mac and to where it leaves? Thanks, Jasper
Yuya Fujiwara1491393133
Dear Jasper, Sorry for my late reply. [quote]Or do I *have* to do it through a custom config file. [/quote] I think you have to do it from a configuration file. The configuration file can be generated through [File] ->[Save configuration as] [attachment=2]screenshot17.png[/attachment]and open it by a text editor. In my previous post, I want to show how to avoid the offset problem. Synergy, in the current version (1.7.5), regards only one display for one PC even the PC has many displays. In your case, seven displays of the server (correct?) were interpreted as a large rectangle display by synergy, as shown in the red box in Fig.2. [attachment=1]screenshot19.png[/attachment] In Fig.2, cursor cannot to enter blank regions. This is a reason why we cannot align displays as you want by using GUI of synergy. Synergy provides textual configuration which allow to define connection between two edges of displays, not only client-sever connection but also server-server or client-client connection. [attachment=0]screenshot21.png[/attachment] As shown in Fig.3, I changed alignments of seven displays of your server machines. Synergy recognizes now all edges what you want to use. [code] section: links #please change "client", "server" and Integers of server(*,*) appropriately client: right=server(50,100) #(2) down=server(10,30) #(3) server: down(0,50)=server(30,80) #(1) up(30,80)=server(0,50) #(1) left(50,100)=client #(2) up(10,30)=client #(3) [/code] You can find the example of how to edit the configuration file in https://github.com/synergy/synergy/wiki ... ation_file In the code, "server" and "client" are your "screen name" of the synergy server and the synergy client respectively. (You can check your screen name of server/client from Synergy GUI of the server machine) [quote] If I do have to do it through a custom config file, how do I decide the off-sets as to from where I can enter to the Mac and to where it leaves? [/quote] Please compare Fig.3 and code. (1), (2), and (3) in the code correspond to arrows in Fig.3. By changing those integers or side (left, right, up, down) in the code, you can decide the edges where cursors go through and also you can change lengths of these edges. I filled integers as an example, so it should be changed. (After you edit the configuration file, check "use existing configuration" and select your configuration file from "Browse".)
Yuya Fujiwara1491393133
Sorry for multi post. Here is a step-by-step guide (1) Make configuration file. Remember the path of the file. Make a copy as a backup. (2) [b]Change display configuration in the Server OS("Control panel -> Display -> Screen resolution->Change the appearance of your displays" for Windows 7)[/b] as shown in Fig.3 of the previous post. Upper sides of 7,5,3,4,2 must be aligned exactly. Left sides of 7 and 1 also must be aligned. Lower side of 1 and 6 must be aligned too. Forget about a display of the Mac here. (3) Edit configuration file: Edit the "section:links" in the configuration file you generated. Probably, my example will work when you replace "server" and "client" by your server and client screen name. The numbers can be changed later. (4) Save, load, apply. Save the modified file, and load it from "browse" button of Synergy server. check "use existing configuration". Then, apply. When you change the position (path) of the configuration file, do (4) again.
Jasper Rietrae
Hi Yuja. Thanks for the very lengthy response, I very much appreciate it. Sorry for my late response, I've been very busy. I am trying very hard to understand everything. I read it like 5 times now and let a friend read it too. One of the things I don't understand is this: [quote="Yuya Fujiwara"]Upper sides of 7,5,3,4,2 must be aligned exactly. Left sides of 7 and 1 also must be aligned. Lower side of 1 and 6 must be aligned too.[/quote] This part makes no sense. Sure, I could change it to be like that but then the whole setup would be ruined. The image I sent (Fig. 2) is also how the monitors are aligned in real life. Here's an image of how my setup looked a few months ago: [img]http://i.imgur.com/UKVq2cF.jpg[/img] It's still mostly the same. Only thing that changed is that I purchased a Mac Mini and wired it to the upper left monitor (the mounted one on the left). Is my question still possible? ^^ Greetings, Jasper P.S. Yes, the server uses 7 monitors and the client uses 1.