Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Mint, Synergy, OpenSSL, Oh my!

speaker
There have been a number of issues that have popped up with synergy 1.7 related to a Vanilla install of Mint. The problem appears to be related to mismatches in versions and architectures of OpenSSL on Mint 17.1 (and I presume earlier versions), and in particular libcrypto and libssl. First a comment about OpenSSL 1.0.1f in general, the version in the Mint 17.1 distribution. According to OpenSSL, 1.0.1f has the heartbleed vulnerability, so you probably want to upgrade it anyhow. In order to make Synergy work, I needed to build OpenSSL. The version of Mint I have didn't include a necessary package, you you might need to [b]install 'build-essentials' using the package manager[/b]. Once that is done, you'll need to do the following with sudo or as root. Once this is complete I was able to run synergy without any problems. A few words on this, however. This is not an ideal solution since it's not installed from the package manager. If at some point in the future there is a current version of OpenSSL available through the installer, I would recommend using that instead. [code]$ cd /usr/src $ wget https://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-1.0.2a.tar.gz -O openssl-1.0.2a.tar.gz $ tar -zxf openssl-1.0.2a.tar.gz $ cd openssl-1.0.2a $ ./config shared $ make depend $ make $ make test $ make install $ mv /usr/bin/openssl /root/ $ ln -s /usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl /usr/bin/openssl $ openssl version $ ln -s /usr/src/openssl-1.0.2a/libssl.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libssl.so.10 $ ln -s /usr/src/openssl-1.0.2a/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.10[/code] References: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1906 http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/vi ... enssl.html http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=186803
Kelvin D. Olson
[quote][code]$ wget https://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-1.0.2a.tar.gz -O openssl-1.0.2a.tar.gz $ tar -zxf openssl-1.0.1j.tar.gz[/code][/quote] Probably a good idea to use the [b]same version[/b] for the entire process. No switching willy nilly between 1.0.2a and 1.0.1j. Or was this a test to see if I was actually [b]reading[/b] the instructions as opposed to blind-faith-copy-n-pasting? Yah? Well you caught me. [code]kelvind-Latitude-D830 src # tar -zxf openssl-1.0.1j.tar.gz tar (child): openssl-1.0.1j.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now tar: Child returned status 2 tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now [/code] I felt rather foolish just then, yes I did.
Kelvin D. Olson
[code]ERROR: failed to load plugin: libns.so FATAL: An error occurred: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.10: version `libcrypto.so.10' not found (required by /home/kelvind/.synergy/plugins/libns.so) [/code] That was after doing all those make things and symbolic link things mentioned above. [code]kelvind@kelvind-Latitude-D830 ~ $ openssl version OpenSSL 1.0.2a 19 Mar 2015 [/code] So I wonder what else we're missing. Rolling the Linux (Synergy Client) back to 1.6.2 again.
speaker
BAH, my bad. :oops: my cut-and-paste error. I remembered to update the name for the wget, but didn't fix the rest of the commands. For the links, I wonder if your setup doesn't look in /usr/lib directly, but wants to look in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ only? maybe these will work: ln -s /usr/src/openssl-1.0.2a/libssl.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.10 ln -s /usr/src/openssl-1.0.2a/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so.10 To make those instructions I created started with a clean Mint 17.1 machine with nothing but what the Mint DVD installs. From there I only needed to install the build-essentials and the rest was just trying to get libssl and libcrypto visible to synergy. What is interesting in your case is the libssl linked, but the libcrypto didn't. There is a viable libssl on Mint already, but I don't think it will play nice with the libcrypto we need to build which is why I went with making both and making new links.
[quote="speaker"]There have been a number of issues that have popped up with synergy 1.7 related to a Vanilla install of Mint. The problem appears to be related to mismatches in versions and architectures of OpenSSL on Mint 17.1 (and I presume earlier versions), and in particular libcrypto and libssl. First a comment about OpenSSL 1.0.1f in general, the version in the Mint 17.1 distribution. According to OpenSSL, 1.0.1f has the heartbleed vulnerability, so you probably want to upgrade it anyhow. In order to make Synergy work, I needed to build OpenSSL. The version of Mint I have didn't include a necessary package, you you might need to [b]install 'build-essentials' using the package manager[/b]. Once that is done, you'll need to do the following with sudo or as root. Once this is complete I was able to run synergy without any problems. A few words on this, however. This is not an ideal solution since it's not installed from the package manager. If at some point in the future there is a current version of OpenSSL available through the installer, I would recommend using that instead. [code]$ cd /usr/src $ wget https://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-1.0.2a.tar.gz -O openssl-1.0.2a.tar.gz $ tar -zxf openssl-1.0.2a.tar.gz $ cd openssl-1.0.2a $ ./config shared $ make depend $ make $ make test $ make install $ mv /usr/bin/openssl /root/ $ ln -s /usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl /usr/bin/openssl $ openssl version $ ln -s /usr/src/openssl-1.0.2a/libssl.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libssl.so.10 $ ln -s /usr/src/openssl-1.0.2a/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.10[/code] References: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1906 http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/vi ... enssl.html http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=186803[/quote] Works perfectly! Not to be nit picky but just to be helpful to all the noobs that are running into this problem, it is listed as 'build-essential' in the repositories not 'build-essentials' and when you are building libssl don't forget to prefix the commands with 'sudo' Thanks for the help speaker! Now able to have full SSL encryption between my Win7 x64 and Linux Mint 17.1 with current stable releases of Synergy
Ben Koenig
Not sure why Mint is so different in this. It uses the same exact packages for ssl/crypto that Ubuntu does. Anyway, this is a classic Linux mixup that occurs when different distros offer the same libraries with different naming schemes. I installed the Ubuntu Synergy .deb in Mint 17 and ran into this, then proceeded to compile only the libns.so from github and dropped it into $HOME/.synergy/plugins. Long story short, Synergy shipped a version of libns.so which kept looking for libssl.so.10 - Mint has libssl.so.1.0.0. [code]xxxxxx@xxxxxx ~/.synergy $ ldd libns.so |grep "not found" libssl.so.10 => not found libcrypto.so.10 => not found [/code] Re configure/compile with cmake: [code]ldd libns.so |grep "ssl" libssl.so.1.0.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.0 (0x00007f07aad94000) [/code] Is it worth distributing a separate Mint .deb? Mint has multiple editions, including LMDE (Debian Edition).
How do other apps handle this? Is there a way to try to look for the needed libs with multiple filenames? Try one and then the other?
digitalextremist
A solution not involving compiling from source would be nice. I'm using Mint 17.1 and had to revert to Synergy 1.6.3 ( even though I don't use SSL at all right now ) for convenience.
Craig Lewis
I've been trying for hours to get this to work since the 1.7.2 update. I'm getting SSL errors. I was advised to delete my .synergy folder on my Mint computer, which I did, but that didn't fix it. So now I've completely uninstalled and downgraded to version 1.6.3 on both computers. 1.6.3 used to work perfectly, and now it won't work either! I'm trying to connect a Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit box to Mac OS 10.10.3 on a MacBook Pro. I AM able to ping between the computers. I've tried switching which one is the server and client, but no configuration seems to work. Host names are all listed correctly in the configuration. I'm am admittedly somewhat of a noob, so go easy on me! :) Here's my log output from the Mac acting as the server with 1.6.3: NOTE: starting server NOTE: config file: /var/folders/g8/z65k1b7s6zn8l53zwd7pp8640000gp/T/Synergy.J72429 NOTE: log level: ERROR 2015-05-26 01:57:39.742 synergys[72431:13237575] starting cocoa loop And here's my log output from the Linux box, also running 1.6.3: NOTE: starting client NOTE: config file: /tmp/qt_temp.J18495 NOTE: log level: INFO NOTE: started client NOTE: connecting to '192.168.1.7': 192.168.1.7:24800 NOTE: stopping synergy desktop process NOTE: starting client NOTE: config file: /tmp/qt_temp.M18495 NOTE: log level: INFO NOTE: started client NOTE: connecting to '192.168.1.7': 192.168.1.7:24800 Again, everything was working fine with 1.6.3 before, then it broke when I upgraded to 1.7.2, and now I've reverted to 1.6.3 and that is broken now as well. I've spent so much time tinkering with this, and I'm getting frustrated! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please turn the log level back up to INFO on your Mac. The Linux log output looks very odd... I see an attempt to connect, but no result from that attempt. I always see some sort of result after an attempt, so something very odd must be happening there. Not sure what... maybe try turning the logs up to Debug on that system and try again? Post your output once you've done that.
Craig Lewis
In the process of changing the log mode to debug, I discovered where you can completely turn off encryption. I did this, and it seems to have solved my problem! And I don't really need encryption since I'm running this over ethernet in my house. Thanks for your response!
  • 2 years later...