Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Using different clients (at different times) with one server

David Stein
We have a home theater machine that we like to control with a laptop. In general, Synergy is a good application for that task. However, we sometimes want to connect to it with one of a few laptops. Not at the same time, of course - just one at a time - but what we want, basically, is the option of controlling it with one of a few other computers. However, we've run into a limitation with Synergy. When we configure Synergy on a first laptop as a client to control the machine, it works fine - but when we configure it on a second laptop, the first laptop cannot connect to it any more. It's like the server is only configurable to accept incoming connections from one machine. Are we somehow misconfiguring Synergy, or is this an inherent limitation of the architecture?
Keith Adams
Make sure you have SSL either on or off on all installs of synergy. I had that issue and noticed the setting was off on one machine. I run two mac laptops from my one windows machine without an issue (except text scaling causes issues if not on 100%). Also maybe using something like a remote desktop app instead would make sense. They are easy and fairly bullet proof.