Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Mouse laggy on wifi, works well on ethernet

Ahmet Arslan
Hi everyone, I've just finished setting up my system, but I can't really use the mouse as it's just way too laggy. My server is Win10 with latest updates, my client is macbook pro with El Capitan. If I connect through my 802.11 AC router, mouse is just laggy, but if I install my thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter and use it, everything is perfect. At work ethernet is just not available, so this is not a good solution for long term. Any suggestions, or tricks? TIA!
snaptastic
I've seen advice stating simply "don't use wifi" e.g. here: [url]http://superuser.com/questions/946201/synergy-lags-extremely-hard[/url] I find this hard to believe. I can use remote desktop to share keyboard, mouse, AND stream the remote display with fairly smooth performance, over the same wifi connection. So how can it be that Synergy, when only forwarding keyboard and mouse information, can lag over the same connection? This has to be a bug, where can I file a bug report? (Edit: ok, to be fair, Remote Desktop is showing me a smoothed mouse location on my local screen, but the argument about data volume of the screen must still carry some weight!)
Julian Menzler
I installed Synergy just a moment ago and so far I'm pretty disappointed. I'm experiencing some severe lags for mouse and keyboard input. At this point Synergy is unusable. My Host-System is an iMac 21,5" with 10.11 My Client-System is a Retina Macbook Pro 15" also with 10.11 Both systems have a stable Wifi-connection. Ethernet is not available. When exchanging host- and client-roles I don't see any improvement. Could anybody give me some advice?
Julian Menzler
Ok, I pulled out a Thunderbolt Cable and set up a Thunderbolt Bridge between my Macs. With this setup the lags are gone. But I expect Synergy to work fluently on Wifi as well as there are no Wifi-related restrictions listed on the product page. I bought Synergy with my Wifi-environment in mind. Does anybody have a stable Wifi-Setup with a fluent mouse feedback on their clients?
Kristian Falat-marsh
Hi I am experiencing a similar issue, I currently have 3 devices working together on synergy, 2 desktop PC's and a Microsoft surface, All my devices are windows 10. The 2 PC's are on Ethernet and the surface is on WiFi, yet both client machines (surface and 1 pc) experience a laggy cursor (almost resembling that of a game with really strong mouse acceleration). Synergy otherwise works fine for me but is incredibly difficult and unpleasant to use with the mouse. Kris
The lag you experience is the result of strain on the wifi connection. Higher-end hardware, such as that with "smooth scroll" tends to have larger buffers, which actually makes this particular problem worse. Please try plugging in temporarily (internet, mouse, keyboard) to see if the problem goes away. You may also want to try using a crossover cable, as it provides a direct connection between the computers.
Weiyin Chen
I also have the same problem, my macbook pro is server and win10 is client. When I move mouse to win10 desktop, it stuck sometimes. Any solution found?
  • 4 months later...
Jamie Valentin
The lag you experience is the result of strain on the wifi connection. Higher-end hardware, such as that with "smooth scroll" tends to have larger buffers, which actually makes this particular problem worse. Please try plugging in temporarily (internet, mouse, keyboard) to see if the problem goes away. You may also want to try using a crossover cable, as it provides a direct connection between the computers.

Jenel, I have the same issue and have a very fast router, so it can't just be speed. Is there no setting in the software to improve this without resorting to hardware, which is what I was trying to avoid when I purchased this software?

• 3 weeks later...
Dino Zagrljaca

Hi,

I have the same problem. Synergy runs smooth at times for a few seconds, but more often it gets laggy and unusable. Can Synergy officially address this issue? Working over wifi is the reason I bought this software and cables are not the option for me.

My server is MBP and client is an iMac. Changing the sides didn't worked too.

I dont even have ethernet jacks, and I dont want to hear about thunderbolt also.

• 4 weeks later...
ZenBalancer

I have the same issue, and the Synergy Support Agent said this to be a bug and offered me a refund or waiting for a fix.

I'm waiting for a fix, with no timeline given.

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue here.

I know Synergy since its early days, and I've been using it in several environments without issues or lag. Even over WiFi.

The older version from Ubuntu's default repositories (v1.3.8) works fine.

With the current version 1.8.6-stable-2ab21aa, I experience the mouse-lag on a notebook over WiFi.

Connecting a cable is not an option, since this notebook doesn't have a connector anymore.

Anything we could do to help debugging this issue?

I've now attached a borrowed USB ethernet adapter, and I can confirm that the mouse/keyboard lag is only an issue on WiFi.

Yet, it is still extremely annoying, and more of an issue as less notebooks have RJ45 jacks anymore :(

Is this something that can't be fixed, or is it simply very tricky to fix?

(Just curious to know if there's a remedy to expect :))

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
Ruben Vandeginste

I recently bought Synergy and I have the same problem: keyboard and mouse are lagging, which is very annoying. It does not seem consistent: at times it does work fluently and at other times mouse and keyboard get stuck for a couple of seconds. Both server and client are connected over WiFi.

Is any work done on this? This seems to be an existing issue since at least may 2016...

Lyndsay Weitzel

Inconsistent lag can happen easily because of the way wireless connections work. Even on a network with only one client device can see lag simply because of electromagnetic noise in the air.

A few things you can do:

Run a ping utility to get an idea what kind of lag spikes your network has. Try it with normal network use and when no other devices are in use. Compare different wireless networks if you have the option.

Disable any unneeded apps that regularly use the network connection. This is important especially with download programs, such as a torrent client. Even when set to use only a small portion of your total bandwidth, the constant connection will introduce lag.

Check your wireless device. Reorienting the antenna, using a replacement antenna, physical position, signal barriers (walls), distance, Quality of Service (QoS) settings, checking for updates, signal channel, wireless protocol, replacement, etc.

• 1 month later...

To see if it's a network delay, I'd try and get one computer to ping the other. This will give you the time taken for data to travel from one machine to the other and will reveal if network is the cause for your delay.

• 2 weeks later...
William P Mackenzie

I have had similar issues with WiFi on a Surface Pro 2 and an Ethernet connected Lenovo laptop. While simply using ping from the Surface to the Laptop, the lags in mouse movement were consistent with either a drop of one or more pings or with periods of higher than average (10x) latency. I broke down last week and purchased a $15 USB to Ethernet Dongle and have been happy ever since...

For me the problem wasn't Synergy, if there are periods of latency is in the 100s of milliseconds then the client will not know the mouse has moved until 100ms later. Changing the WiFi Access Point/Router would likely have helped; as there is likely a bug in the access point when using the 2-4 year old wireless standards which constrain my Surface Pro 2.

Now, if we could get to the bottom of my multiple times per day mouse selection problems on the clients...

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Yeah, more often than not it's the wifi connection, but sometimes it can be Synergy.

How many people are still having lag issues after switching to ethernet?

• Nick Bolton unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

I have just bought synergy pro. I have tried to set up between two windows 10 machine: one desktop (server) and the other surface pro 4 (client) with SSL encryption. I have found the mouse lagging inconsistently inside surface client.

I'm a long time free user of synergy since its opensource time. I did many manual ssl tunneling through ubuntu and windows machines and no such problem encountered before. Well, the current setup is through Wifi. But, in the same network, I have done two ubuntu machines over wifi and no such problem; of course, the synergy version is different.

JDDoesIT

Has anyone experiencing this issue turned their log level up to Debug2 and tried disabling encryption? Removing encryption should remove some overhead and if this resolves it, there would be a clear path laid out where optimizations can be made. Providing verbose logs with and without encryption would really help them out by given them objective, real-time data.

Edit -> Settings

PS: I did notice some lag once I turned my logging on and cranked it up. This should be expected.

• 1 month later...
ZenBalancer

Just a note: lowering the hardware DPI on my mouse seems to help. Because with regular mouse I didn't have the problem anymore. Context being WiFi.

• 5 weeks later...

Same thing here, Windows Host and MacBook pro as client, and I don't think it's the wi-fi.

I don't see how my wi-fi setup is good enough to remotely control my desktop via Steam link and play videogames at 60fps, but not good enough for Synergy to control just the mouse.

Edited by carles
  • 11 months later...

So disabling smooth scrolling helped quite a bit. I do get an occasional "lag" which could be wifi. How does the connection get initiated between each side?

• 5 months later...
JunnyJunJun

Hi all, so I was experiencing this same issue with my ethernet wired Windows 10 being the server and an Ubuntu 18.04 laptop being the wifi client on. I too found Synergy was unusable. I'm a network engineer and I live in an apartment so the first thing I was curious about was if there were neighbor wifi routers/access points that were possibly interfering with the frequency channel I was on. I whipped out my android phone and started up an app called Wifi Analyzer and found there were a few new neighbors that moved in recently who were set on the same 5Ghz channel I was on. I went into my own home wifi network and changed my SSID to broadcast on a different channel spectrum and started up Synergy again and voila, buttery smooth Synergy experience. Hope this helps many of you all.