Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Compatibility Bug with Final Fantasy XIV

David Ranger
Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV) is a MMORPG that I am playing on Windows 7 64-bit in borderless window mode. Synergy is connecting my PC to my laptop. In FFXIV, the camera is controlled with the mouse. When I hold down the right mouse button, the mouse gets hidden and its position locked. Moving around the mouse moves the camera, and can not interact with any UI elements. Releasing the mouse button will have the mouse appear where I had left it. Under normal operation, no amount of movement can cause the mouse to leave the window and be grabbed by Synergy. Without the mouse button held down, I can move the cursor off the screen and interact with my laptop. This is the expected behaviour and how it normally works with Synergy. I do not know what triggered the bug, but after Synergy let me interact with my laptop, the cursor failed to return completely to FFXIV. I could still hold down the right mouse button and move the camera, but the hidden cursor would also continue to move around and interact with the UI, and it was also able to leave the window and switch focus to my laptop. FFXIV has a character model viewer. The view can be rotated and panned with the mouse. Another side effect of this bug is controlling that the mouse became highly sensitive when controlling the view. The slightest input would have the view spinning wildly Restarting FFXIV did nothing. Restarting Synergy did resolve this issue.
Alexander Harris
On the server, run the synergy app and click the "Configure Server..." button. On the Advanced server settings button, try ticking the "Use relative mouse moves" checkbox then click "OK" and then "Apply" to set the settings. I've used this in the past with games which required a lot of side-to-side motion of the mouse. Too much would cause the cursor to pop-off the screen onto the other machine, loosing focus on the game. It would also sometimes lead to huge mouse sensitivity in games too. Using this setting seemed to fix these problems, and basically seemed to allow the game to properly capture the mouse for the duration.
David Ranger
[quote="Alexander Harris"]On the server, run the synergy app and click the "Configure Server..." button. On the Advanced server settings button, try ticking the "Use relative mouse moves" checkbox then click "OK" and then "Apply" to set the settings. I've used this in the past with games which required a lot of side-to-side motion of the mouse. Too much would cause the cursor to pop-off the screen onto the other machine, loosing focus on the game. It would also sometimes lead to huge mouse sensitivity in games too. Using this setting seemed to fix these problems, and basically seemed to allow the game to properly capture the mouse for the duration.[/quote] I tried this, and the bug still happened in exactly the same way. I have been able to reproduce the bug. It seems to be related to rebooting my computer. Synergy comes up automatically. When I open up FFXIV, the bug is there. Opening Synergy and pressing Stop then Start resolves it.
  • 4 weeks later...
Alexander Harris
That is odd. The thing I forgot to mention last time was to try locking the cursor to your FF screen using the scroll lock key on the keyboard. This fixes this problem for me in most games too.