Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Security concerns - new forum appreciated?

Benjamin Metz
Hello, I love Synergy and have been using it for quite some years now (purchased pro, too). Lately I came to think about some of the security aspects of the software since technically it is: a) a keylogger and mouce tracing software b) it uses a network connection Both combined are things you usually wouldn't want to be run on a computer that is used with critical data (e. g. when working in a company in the financial sector, health sector, etc.). Maybe we could have another forum that specifically adresses the security parts of Synergy. Among other things I'd like to discuss: a) should it be possible/allowed for synergy to run the daemon without it showing an icon in the tray? After installation and first startup of synergy I had the tray icon showing synergy up and connected, but after a reboot I found out that the tray icon was gone. I was rather suprised finding out, that Synergy was still up and connected without me being aware of it. b) when using SSL encrypted connection in the pro version: it would be nice to have a little yellow lock symbol showing on the tray icon, so that you can easily see that your connection is secure. c) it would be much appreciated to be able to use your own certificates or at least to view further details on the generated certificate, to be able to generate new certificates on the server that have to be imported on the clients. I'm actually a bit short of time therefore I only posted those to things. Nevertheless: I guess focusing on security could improve Synergy by means of security and help to keep it in the top range of usefull software not only functionality wise. Kind regards, Ben
Benjamin Metz
When using Synergy as client on a laptop it can happen that you connect to a different network than your home / office network. For safety concerns Synergy should not try to connect to the server, when not in the network it was set up with (e. g. different dns domain name, different ip address). When in a foreign network (e. g. a hotel or open wlan) the server ip-address could belong to any other pc in the network. And when not using SSL anybody could accept the connection on the other end of the communication.