Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Copy/Paste Yields Chinese Characters

Brenden Mervin
I looked through the other copy/paste topics, but did not find any mention of what I am experiencing, so here is the scoop: When I copy from my Linux machine (running Arch) to my Windows 10 machine, I get Chinese characters. For example, if I copy the word "test" from a terminal window on my Linux machine into a blank email (Outlook 2013), I get "猼慰瑳汹㵥昢湯⵴慦業祬洺湯獯慰散㸢猼慰瑳汹㵥挢汯牯⌺㉢㉢㉢戻捡杫潲湵ⵤ潣潬㩲昣晦晦㭦㸢整瑳⼼灳湡㰾牢㰾猯慰㹮" as the pasted text. Now, if I paste and select "keep text only" it works fine. I tried making sure the font I was using on Linux was installed on Windows, which is 'DejaVu Sans Mono', but that did not solve the issue (I also tried switching the terminal font to Courier, but I saw the same Chinese text pasted in Windows). Is there a fix for this, or is this just the way of life for my particular configuration? Thanks.
  • 6 months later...
Edward Trumbull

I have the same problem.

If I open a command window or a wordpad session and paste there, the characters are not Chinese.

I see the problem most when I paste either into "Skype for Business" (formerly Lynx) or a web browser.

Linux is Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

Windows 10 Enterprise version 1607 build 14393.576

Synergy pro version 1.8.2 Linux is Server, PC is slave

• 1 year later...
Erik Johansen

Same here.  Trying to copy English text from Debian 9.3 to Outlook in Windows 7, but it pastes the characters as Chinese.  When I paste into Notepad++ it is fine.  Synergy version on both systems is 1.8.8.

Erik Johansen

I should also note that all other things the same for these 2 systems, this was never a problem I encountered with 1.3.8 x64 Windows 7 client and the built in synergy server that comes with Debian.  I used those versions for years and recently updated to 1.8.8 and started experiencing this.  Sad to see it's been almost 2 years with no fix.

• 2 weeks later...
GranPaSmurf

I, and other moderaters, have experiencd and reported this to developers. It's a known bug.

A's a workaround I've had success with pasting into another text program (I use Keep) and recopy, then it pastes into Windows accurately.

roberto.r
On 3/4/2018 at 3:54 AM, GranPaSmurf said:

I, and other moderaters, have experiencd and reported this to developers. It's a known bug.

A's a workaround I've had success with pasting into another text program (I use Keep) and recopy, then it pastes into Windows accurately.

okay, that is not really pratically for me - do we know with which version this bug was introduced ? Is it server or client side ? Then I would try downgrading...

GranPaSmurf

the quickest way to get an answer would be for you to submit a Support request. That puts the issue right in front of developers. 

https://symless.com/contact/customer-support     

Report your experience to support. Send logs for each machine even though it's unlikely to show up in the log. Trouble tickets drive development.