Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Mouse clicks don't work, only keyboard and scrollwheel

Etienne Faure
Hello, Using a Windows 10 as server and a El Capitan as client, it can happen when moving to the client, that mouse clicks don't work on the client after screen enter, only keyboard and scrollwheel do. At that point moving the cursor back and forth from the client to the server never fixed it. A repeatable way get it back working again is to change the focused window on the Windows machine. I cannot reproduce it at will, it feels random. It might be related to the server running mainly Visual Studio 2015, for debugging win32 applications; though there is some screenlocking engaged when entering debug, if haven't found a correlation between the symptoms "getting locked on server" and "i can't click in client".
Your problem description sounds just like what I'm experiencing with the same setup: Win 10 server and El Cap client with version 1.7.6. I had tried it the other way around, but experienced cursor lag on the Win 10 client after 2-3 hours of use. Not sure what I'll do now. Back to a VNC setup I suppose. (This is a revisit to Synergy for me, after an unsuccessful tryout about 6 months ago. Different problem then and my money was refunded. I was hoping all was working now and I'd pony up the money again, gladly. But not when I've never seen it work correctly. )
  • 2 weeks later...
Matt Centurion
Experiencing the same things here using same Win10 (Synergy Server) + El Capitan with a high frequency of occurrence. Sometimes just moving the mouse back into Win10 and clicking solves it. Other times I have to also press a keyboard key in Windows for mouse clicks to work on El Capitan. Clipboard seems to also barely work, and usually only in one direction. :/
  • 3 weeks later...
Artem Golubev
I have the same problem with Win 10 srv + Win 10 (laptop) client setup. Moving back to server screen and random clicks helps to solve it, but it might happen again even when the focus is on the client though the mouse was inactive for a little while. Annoying thing...
Matthew Steeples
I'm in a similar situation to Artem. Win 10 server + Win 10 client (both running 14393). Works 95% of the time but occasionally I can't click on things. Mouse still moves and keyboard still responds. When I go back to the server and click a few times then it works again on the client.
  • 2 weeks later...
Etienne Faure
I found a way to temporarily fix it: Move mouse back to server, click task bar, click a window, go back to client. Works every time. I hope this event sequence can help...
  • 3 months later...
David Hansen

Setup here: Windows 10 server, LinuxMint client.

I've noticed a strong relationship between closing a window on the server and then moving to the client. Every time I do that, Synergy no longer registers the click event on the client.

Etienne's solution works for me as well. Simply clicking on the Windows desktop also works most of the time.

BTW: Closing a window in any other client has the same effect as closing a window on the server. I have LinuxMint client machines on either side of the Windows server. If I close a window on the left side LM and them move to the right side LM, clicks are not registered.

Edited by Guest
Theodore Berg-rooper

This happens to me as well, every morning. Windows 10 Desktop(server), Windows 10 Laptop(Client).

I turn off the desktop every night, but the laptop stays on. Whenever I boot the desktop, I experience this issue, I need to stop the server and restart it to get the clicks to work again.

I have the same problem. My server and client stays on all the time and sometimes on the client side I can't click. I have to restart the server and then it works. No important input, I just wanted to share it.

Thank you.

Same here. Usually restarting either side works, but sometimes it does not. Though it is not every time, it is enough that I have a second mouse sitting on my desk.

Mark de Jong

FWIW, Etienne's solution does not work for me.

Stopping and starting the server seems to allow it to work ... but it's not a good long-term solution.

-- Mark

Using a Windows 10 as server and a El Capitan as client, it can happen when moving to the client, that mouse clicks don't work on the client after screen enter, only keyboard and scrollwheel do.

At that point moving the cursor back and forth from the client to the server never fixed it. A repeatable way get it back working again is to change the focused window on the Windows machine.

I can confirm this exact same thing is happening to me as well - same Windows 10 server, El Capitan client. Currently using 1.8.6-beta51f68b9 on the OS X side and 1.8.6-stable-ade4b7f on the Windows side.

Going from server to client and the clicking won't work randomly. Clicking anywhere back on the server, then back on the client allows it to work properly. It can be working fine for hours, then all of a sudden stop working.

• 3 weeks later...
Etienne Faure

Hello,

Good news!

I have had the option "Don't take foreground window on Windows server" activated for testing, and I'm keeping it.

It's been a week and the issue has yet to show up again.

Even better: Visual Studio running on the server does not freeze synergy anymore (i.e. switching from the Windows server the a macOS client when starting a build or debug session).

I found a reference to this option in the FAQ[1], but I haven't found any reliability issues yet.

It has never worked better.

[1] https://github.com/symless/synergy/wiki/User-FAQ#how-do-i-stop-my-game-from-minimizing-when-i-leave-the-screen