Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Shift Key modifier doesn't work with RDC on OSX client

Simon Swallow
Hi, I am currently using Synergy OSX Server > OSX Client. The issue I have is that on my OSX Client I also have a Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection to a Windows 8.1 machine. The RDC machine does not recognise the shift key that is being pressed on the OSX server. Setup: OSX Server > OSX Client > RDC Session This does seem to be Synergy related as doing a VNC connection from OSX > OSX allows the RDC session to correctly use the shift key modifier. Does anybody have any suggestions? Nick - is this a known bug? Thanks, Simon
  • 2 weeks later...
Gavia Consult SA
I am using almost the same setup (except for the Windows version on target RDC system), and running into the exact same problem here. So to be super clear here, Synergy is NOT running on Windows ! I'm a registered Pro user (since an hour ago), but also used Synergy wayyyyy back (remember using it something like 9 or 10 years ago, possibly earlier). Software versions if it can help : OS X system running Synergy Server : 10.10.3 Synergy Server : v1.7.2-stable-728e9cd OS X system running Synergy Client and RDC Client : 10.10.2 (mmmmh, I might update this) Synergy Client : v1.7.2-stable-728e9cd RDC Client : 8.0.15 (Build 25886) Windows System (RDC Server) : Windows 7 Enterprise, SP1 Thanks ahead for any help with this issue ;-)
Mike Walter
I too am having the same problem and it is a really big issue since our passwords need the shift key for special characters.
Mike Walter
What is the expected reply from Synergy on this? It has been posted since May 7th with no answer or acknowledgement and we are supposed to use forums for support now. Thanks, Mike
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Mike Walter1491392827
Loaded new version 1.74 and still problem exists, can we get acknowledgement of the issue so we know when should be repaired?
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Mike Walter1491392827
Hi support, please acknowledge this bug. It is extremely frustrating for all that use this program. I am a paid user as well.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Another one here. This is kindof a deal-breaker for me using Synergy... I'm in RDP all the time on an OSX client. Glad I only wasted $10.00 instead of $30.00 if this kind of thing is left unpatched / unaddressed for months at a time. Details: -Synergy Server 1.7.5 on Windows 7Prox64 (fully patched and otherwise happy) -Synergy Client 1.7.5 on OSx ElCapitan 10.11.13 -Microsoft Remote Desktop Client in OSx 8.0.26 (Build 26951) Shift key works normally on the client itself, but fails utterly while in an RDP session -on- the client. Fix? Suggestions? Anything -other- than use the client keyboard whenever you need correct case.
  • 1 month later...
I reported this issue a while back on the old issue tracker. For me it extended beyond just the shift key, most all of the modifier keys had issues and its a HUGE deal since some of the servers I am required to log in to via RDC need the new 'red' icon client which has the problem. It also occurs in NoMachine as well.
Richie Tenhet
I have had this issue for months as well. Synergy server is Win8.1 and client OSX 10.11.3. I usually RDP to a Win2008r2 server from the MS RDP client on the Mac. I just updated to latest Synergy 1.7.6 and also a new RDP client 8.0.28, build 27057, in hopes of correcting the issue. Sadly, the issue still exists. Does anyone have any hotkey config or workaround to get the shift/ctrl keys to function in the RDP session on the Mac? Thanks Richie
  • 3 weeks later...
Had the same issue myself, changing your RDP client resolves the issue. I ended up with the Jump remote desktop client on OSX, for an extra ~£20.
  • 3 weeks later...
James Robbins
I see the same thing going from a Mac (OS X 10.10 Yosemite) to a Mac (OS X 10.11 El Capitan). Most programs work as expected, but when I using a Parallels virtual machine on the client system it does not recognize any of the modifier keys. I suspect this is occurring because of the way that the keyboard is being processed by Parallels. It would make sense that RDP software has a similar problem since it is also sensitive to the raw keypresses (keyup and keydown) and not just the final keystroke that most programs are concerned with. I'm currently testing ShareMouse to see how well it works since I have not heard back from the Synergy team after repeated attempts to contact them via email. I am a Synergy Pro user. Jim
  • 3 weeks later...
Matt Elliott
Same problem here. OSX Server -> OSX Client -> Royal TSX. I also experience some issues with vmware fusion, but remote desktop is something I use frequently.
James Robbins
Nick Bolton got in contact with me after I mentioned this problem on Twitter and bug 3083 ([url]https://github.com/symless/synergy/issues/3083[/url]) was reopened for this problem on GitHub. Anyone interested in monitoring the status should subscribe to notifications for that bug.
  • 1 year later...
James Robbins

I emailed support and was told that:

I'm really sorry, but I'm unable to offer any further technical support with this particular problem since there is already a known issue about this on github and this is already noted by our developers. We're of course more than happy to give you a full refund as well as leaving your account active (so you can try future updates). Does that work for you?

While I appreciate the offer of a refund I would prefer to have the problem fixed. As I mentioned in my support email, there are multiple related GitHib issues for this related problem that occurs with both RDP and with Parallels virtual machines on a client Mac. I reported detailed keystroke information on GitHub issue 3083 in May, 2016. The original issue was opened in 2014. I asked the support engineer for details on how the progress could be tracked for these issues and was told:

I can't give you a specific time frame on when this will be fixed.

I have not been told about any way to track the state of the issues (are they being worked? ignored? scheduled for a specific future release? etc).

At this point the email support does not seem any more helpful than the support forums.

Jim

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
On 9/6/2017 at 5:31 PM, James Robbins said:

At this point the email support does not seem any more helpful than the support forums.

By using support tickets instead of the forums we can make sure everyone gets seen to.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to promise that support tickets will fix everyone's problems.

I strongly suggest you take the refund.

James Robbins

Nick,

I appreciate the refund offer. However, I use Synergy every day at work to link a couple of Macs together. I would much rather keep using the program and wait (hope?) that the problem with sending modifier keys to remote system and VMs will eventually be fixed. I also prefer to support an open source project if that is an option.

Jim

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm on 1.14.6, and this is not working for me.

Synergy host is running on Windows 11. 

Synergy clients is running OSX Ventura 13.2.1. 

I cannot copy paste, cannot shift+enter for a new line when connected to a remote desktop via Chrome.