Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

1.8.2 Installation snag...

Danny Carlton
Here's where it hangs... "The following applications are using files...etc." then it seems to list a random program (which when closed, the installation simply picks another random program) and "settings". When it finally ran out of random programs, it continued to list settings. Settings on Windows 10 is not simply a "file" it is part of the system. I'm not sure how one would close it, and am pretty sure really bad things would happen if one even could. And no, the settings' window was not open and the task manager showed no "settings" of any kind running.
Doug Tooley
I had that too, but only on one Windows 10 computer. It complained about "settings". So I killed it from the Task Manager and Synergy installed smoothly. This was on the Synergy Server. BUT... about 30 seconds after installation my "Drobo PC Backup" app crashed. A few seconds later, Windows Explorer crashed and restarted. Neither of those are normal occurrences. On my other computer (Synergy Client), it complained about a couple of programs. One was something I had open (Perforce's P4V.exe) and something else. I closed all my running programs and installation proceeded smoothly. I rebooted after that, and have had no strange reboots in the following 10 minutes. I came here because of these, wondering if others had similar experiences.
Danny Carlton
[quote="Doug Tooley"]I had that too, but only on one Windows 10 computer. It complained about "settings". So I killed it from the Task Manager and Synergy installed smoothly. This was on the Synergy Server.[/quote] I see no "settings" in the Task Manager. Could it be listed under a different name?
Danny Carlton
[quote="Doug Tooley"]I had that too, but only on one Windows 10 computer.[/quote] Okay, update was stuck. I managed to get it to finish, then everything worked fine. Another Win10 headache.
Gordon Chandler
I am also getting this: [url]https://screenshot.click/13-25-x0yba-bg6tk.png[/url] Not sure what is causing it. I don't have 'photos' or 'settings' open. Also running windows 10. Do I just keep clicking 'retry'?
Tim MacLaren
I had the same issue, Settings was the busy app. I killed it from the Task Manager and all went ok, then like others about 30 seconds later all hell broke loose, various apps crashed, Windows Explorer restarted, I had notifications coming up that had already appeared but after a little while it seems to have settled down. This could cause a few users to panic quite easily if they haven't seen this type of thing before!
Avishay Rapp

This usually appears when a user does not have elevated permissions or you are trying to use it with a user in a DC that does not have "Run as Service" permission on his network user.

I suggest to try and run as local administrator and try to see it if works.

Hope it helped.