Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 1.8.3 released

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

The Synergy 1.8.3 update is ready for you to download!

Here are 5 reasons why you should update Synergy...

1. It's a free update, as always

2. Clipboard sharing is even more reliable

3. The spacebar key on Mac is fixed

4. Media keys now work on Mac

5. Improved Windows UAC handling

Update to Synergy 1.8.3

Just to recap, these are the bugs that we fixed...

• A letter is typed when spacebar is pressed on Mac client
  • Tab behaves like shift tab on client
  • UAC causes disconnection while in elevate mode

And we also added these enhancements...

• Media key support for Mac clients
  • Make auto-elevate optional

Enjoy the new version of Synergy! Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

SSL configuration is not working. Going into the EDIT menu and disabling SSL works, but re-enabling SSL continues to kill the connections. This is a workaround. Is there a Solution?

Mark Mazelin

(from the Synergy Team at Symless)

There's a known issue in Synergy 1.8.3 where the SSL plugin can be out of date, which stops the client connecting to the server. To fix this, please re-run the wizard on all of your machines.

1. Open Synergy on the server
  2. If Windows: Go to the Edit, then click Settings
  3. If macOS: Go to Synergy, then click Preferences
  4. Ensure the "Use SSL encryption" checkbox is enabled
  5. Go to File, then Run Wizard
  6. Click Next until you see the Activation screen
  7. Enter your login details or serial key
  8. Click "Continue" and finish the wizard
  9. Repeat those steps for each client

I upgraded my 2 Windows 10 PC's. One is 32 bit and the other its 64.

The 32bit machine is the server.

Upgraded the 32bit OK and it still connected to the 64 bit running version 1.8.2 and was working.

Upgraded the 64bit and it lost connection with the 32 bit server.

I downgraded the 64bit back to 1.8.2 and it worked OK. So I upgraded back to 1.8.3 and it stopped again so I downgraded and it worked.

So very strange.

My setup is standard windows and nothing special.

Last bits from log on client are:

[2016-09-27T09:59:56] NOTE: started client

[2016-09-27T09:59:56] NOTE: connecting to '192.168.0.70': 192.168.0.70:24800

[2016-09-27T09:59:56] INFO: watchdog status: ok

[2016-09-27T10:00:11] WARNING: failed to connect to server: Timed out

[2016-09-27T10:00:12] NOTE: connecting to '192.168.0.70': 192.168.0.70:24800

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Issues with 1.8.3.

Using MacOS Sierra 1.83 as server and Windows 10 1.8.3 as client, the server would show in the log a new client, when i removed the screen it would detect new client and ask where to put the screen and then windows client would timeout on connecting, after checking firewall rules and checking if i could connect to the synergy port through telnet is succeeded.

Went back to 1.8.2 on Windows 10 client, worked as it did before no timeout issue.

I also have another mac on MacOS Sierra as a client with no physical keyboard attached standard function keys no longer work, ctrl+right/ctrl+left no longer moves to the next desktop on the right, ctrl+up no will open mission control.

I attached screenshots of both System Preferences for keyboard on both MacOS server and MacOS client and since i use a physical KVM between all my machines for login, network loss or out of OS use i noticed that the preferences panel of the client changes to that of the server indicating the lack of a physical keyboard may be an issue in MacOS Sierra as if i switch my KVM to the MacOS client ctrl+up and ctrl+left/right work.

Hope the information i've provided fixes those issues.

58e5078a71ffb_ScreenShot2016-09-27at5_40_58pm.png.efd777697e71a9ba07ce20cfc6d3b060.png

58e5078a7780a_ScreenShot2016-09-27at5_41_20pm.png.a3916dbcf3ab3b3b0962de8f5206ca8c.png

John Herry1491393380

Unfortunately, I am still having clipboard issues, even after upgrading to 1.8.3 (Win7 Ent client, Kubuntu 16.04 server)

I've sent logs to service, so hopefully I hear something soon. I've made myself dependant on this product!! :lol:

I uninstalled 1.8.3, which did not work for me, and went back to 1.8.2, which still works fine.

server OS X 10.11.6, client Windows 7 64-bit.

I could get 1.8.3 to work if I made Windows 7 the server and OS X 10.11.6 the client, but that's exactly the reverse of how I need my setup to work.

Under 1.8.3, synergy would announce that the client had connected, but wouldn't share the mouse or keyboard, and then it would disconnect after a short time. This cycle would repeat endlessly.

After checking this thread, I tried to re-run the wizard. The "Use SSL Encryption" option is grayed out on my system, not able to check that.

So I'm good for the time being, but would welcome suggestions anyone has about what to try next.

Thanks!

Mark

BJØRN RAVNÅS

Last bits from log on client are:

[2016-09-27T09:59:56] NOTE: started client

[2016-09-27T09:59:56] NOTE: connecting to '192.168.0.70': 192.168.0.70:24800

[2016-09-27T09:59:56] INFO: watchdog status: ok

[2016-09-27T10:00:11] WARNING: failed to connect to server: Timed out

I got the same in my log with my windows 10 64-bit server and my windows 7 64-bit client. When I downgraded to 1.8.2 it works fine again.

Fabijan Spralja

Hello, having two problems on latest macOS and windows 10,

server runs on macOS sierra, it crashed the first time but afterwards it started to work, but clients (booth ubuntu and windows 10) mouse is very jittery, goes on some wrong angle or jumps away (for eg. cant hit the wizard buttons - mouse jumps away...).

Another issue on windows 10, cannot enable the ssl plugin in the wizard, getting error message (even on complete uninstall):

Error: Failed to copy plugin 'ns.dll' to C:\..\AppData\Local\Synergy\Plugins\ns.dll

Unknown error

Please stop synergy and run the wizard again.

Frank Bean

Did something change in the update process? i don't recall needing to have physical keyboard access to complete the upgrade before. This time, the install requires synergy to be stopped before the upgrade can continue.

This is on a client system running windows 7, 64bit

Fabijan Spralja
Hello, having two problems on latest macOS and windows 10,

server runs on macOS sierra, it crashed the first time but afterwards it started to work, but clients (booth ubuntu and windows 10) mouse is very jittery, goes on some wrong angle or jumps away (for eg. cant hit the wizard buttons - mouse jumps away...).

Another issue on windows 10, cannot enable the ssl plugin in the wizard, getting error message (even on complete uninstall):

Error: Failed to copy plugin 'ns.dll' to C:\..\AppData\Local\Synergy\Plugins\ns.dll

Unknown error

Please stop synergy and run the wizard again.

Figured out it had to do something with my home folder being "Fabijan Å " which I disliked also, after ruining windows while trying to change that to something normal, unfortunately windows restore point did not work as supposed, so formatted and installed clean windows 10 where home folder is one word with no special characters the two problems are solved (license key works, and also plugin installation works from wizard).

One new small issue I noticed on macOS while configuring key mappings for client, after I changed the first key (ctrl to meta) the config window moved back behind the main configuration window and could not be focused again, but draged it away to see the forms and completed the configuration...

Jean-Marc Zanni

Also HAd isues with Version 1.8.3. Was working fine with 1.8.2 Server is win10 -64 bit, Client was win7 -64 bit. After reading thread also found that on the Server the Use SSL emcription was greyed out. Do not know why or how to make it active. However noticed that the setting on the Client was using the SSL.

Unchecking the SSL on client made it work.

I would rather use SSL but it does not seem to be an option at this stage.

Alan Harris

SIGH!! I'm beginning to dread Synergy Releases. Last update took me 2 hours to get Linux Server/Win7 Client connecting. This time it took 3 hours. Had to uninstall, re-install, run wizards on both machines and only then did the fingerprint display correctly and client to server connection occurred.

Saw the post about running the Wizard on both machines again that helped.

BTW ....

Although fixes supposed to include fixing UAC causing disconnect, on my Win7 machine a disconnect still happens when UAC displayed. Also, clipboard sharing can still be inconsistent at times.

Not seeing issue with SSL setting greyed out others seem to be having.

Allan F. Gagnon

I am having problems with Mission Control Key's Such as the Control and Right Arrow and Left Arrow Keys on Mac OSx Sierra.

I am having issues with the clipboard on both Windows 7 and Mac OSx Sierra.

I am going back to 1.8.2

VALTER LUIZ FREIRE DE ESPI

It is not working....

[2016-10-04T15:39:47] ERROR: ssl error occurred (system call failure)

[2016-10-04T15:39:47] ERROR: eof violates ssl protocol

[2016-10-04T15:39:47] ERROR: failed to accept secure socket

Please let me know when it is fixed, I am using a Ubuntu 16 as server, and Windows 10 & Ubuntu 16 as clients.

Not working is unacceptable, and advertising paid while I was trying to get some support did not make me feel better.

It was working perfectly with previous version.

Chris Donahue

I just 'upgraded' from 1.8.2 to 1.8.3 - and now nothing works... no connection between systems... and massive errors... and to get support I have to PAY FOR IT? I've wasted the last 3 hours f'ing around with this new version - that's $900.00 down the drain... how about you pay me for that?

Daniel Bell

I have the same problem.

Then failed to connect to server: Timed out

In these forum posts everyone is talking about how they are able to make it work if they downgrade to 1.8.2?

Where is that on here? I can't get 1.8.3 to work.

I am new, sorry.

Dan

Ricky Staniforth
Issues with 1.8.3.

I also have another mac on MacOS Sierra as a client with no physical keyboard attached standard function keys no longer work, ctrl+right/ctrl+left no longer moves to the next desktop on the right, ctrl+up no will open mission control.

I have the same using Windows 7 as Server. Worked fine on previous version. Bit of a bummer to say the least.

Jonathan Long

UG... I've been trying to make this work for DAYS now... http://symless.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2061

Lots of people saying that 1.8.3 and 1.8.4 don't work. Why are there no previous builds available for 1.8.2? The only ones I see on the site are for 1.7.x and below.

If you're going to charge money, that's fine, but please TEST IT. Does anyone have the 1.8.2 installs for Win x64 and Ubuntu?

Wayne Shumaker

I cannot get 1.83 or 1.8.4 on debian stretch to work as it is trying to link to libssl.1.0.0 and the system has libssl.1.0.2 . I also have encryption and ssl off on the windoes synergy server. 1.8.2 was working. I do not want to revert to a possibly broken ssl.

Gildas Cherruel

Well, even if you uncheck SSL usage on both the client and the server, the client still does not connect.

I have a Mac (Sierra) as my server and Windows 10 as a client.

Worked like a charm until 1.8.2.

I just upgraded to 1.8.4 (from 1.8.3) out of despair, no luck. Same "WARNING: failed to connect to server: Timed out" on the client and zaro messages in the server's log (Running both at DEBUG).

I would have hoped this issue seen by quite a lot of people, according to this thread, would get far more attention than "Bug #5640 Synergy branding is inconsistent across platforms", e.g.

Not being able to use the software at all, IMHO, is a major issue. :(:(:(