Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 1.8.4 released

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Hi everyone,

Synergy 1.8.4 is ready for you to download!

Here are a few reasons why you should update to version 1.8.4...

1. It's always free! (just make sure you login first)

2. There's better support for high DPI displays on Windows

3. Seamless update: no more wizard every time you update

4. We've made SSL even more reliable, and fixed some other bugs

Update to Synergy 1.8.4 (requires login)

Just to recap, these are the bugs that we fixed...

- DPI scaling was broken when using a Windows server

- On Linux, newly added or resized screens were being ignored

- Our update notification was bugging users to downgrade

- Overwriting existing SSL certificates when you re-run the wizard

And we also added these enhancements...

- Removed the buggy plugin infrastructure (no more ns.dll)

- Made SSL even more reliable than before

- Easier to upgrade to Pro via the new activation dialog (File menu)

- The wizard is no longer run every time you update

Enjoy the new version of Synergy! Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Thanks,

Nick

Steffen W Soerensen

1.8.4 is failing just as 1.8.3 were on macOS Sierra w/some failure about permission to access and temp sub dir under /var/tmp, had to revert to 1.8.2 on my macOS server.

Yeah, me too - I haven't been able to get Synergy to work since 1.8.3, which is a bummer since it's the first time I've had a problem in all the years I've used it. When I couldn't figure out the problems with 1.8.3 I rolled back to 1.7.5 (the last version available for download) and it all worked again. I figured I'd wait until the next version to see if the problems were resolved, but no luck with 1.8.4 either.

fwiw, I'm using Mac OS El Capitan as the server and Windows 10 as the client. This is the setup I've had for several years now, and it's always worked flawlessly, until 1.8.3 and now 1.8.4. I'm getting a "Connection refused" on the client, and on the server I'm getting this:

[2016-10-17T11:18:51] INFO: drag and drop enabled

[2016-10-17T11:18:51] FATAL: unknown screen name `ip-192-168-16-91.ec2.internal'

[2016-10-17T11:18:51] ERROR: process exited with error code: 1

[2016-10-17T11:18:51] INFO: detected process not running, auto restarting

[2016-10-17T11:18:52] INFO: stopping synergy desktop process

[2016-10-17T11:18:52] INFO: starting server

[2016-10-17T11:18:52] INFO: config file: /var/folders/1w/75j5mh292x1b7n_ct5ln76300000gn/T/Synergy.JH2815

[2016-10-17T11:18:52] INFO: log level: INFO

[2016-10-17T11:18:52] INFO: drag and drop enabled

[2016-10-17T11:18:52] FATAL: unknown screen name `ip-192-168-16-91.ec2.internal'

[2016-10-17T11:18:52] ERROR: process exited with error code: 1

etc...

One annoying thing is that I can't stop the server - every time I click Stop it just starts again. I thought I'd run the wizard on both machines but you guys removed it, so... not sure what to do now. Clicking around in Prefs and trying things isn't working, so my plan is to keep using 1.7.5 until (if) a new version works.

Adrian Pecker

Yes, indeed there seems to be a problem with this version. I couldn´t get it to work on my Windows 7/Mac configuration.

There is a problem with the client that will loop trying to connect.

As you only keep the last builds in your download page I cannot make it work downloading an older version. Its a pitty, as I bought it some days ago and I am still unable to use it. I hope you can deliver a patch soon.

Adrian

1.8.4 is not working for me. Host: Windows 10. Client: Windows 7. Upon starting Synergy on both machines, the cursor disappears when switching to the Client machine. Will only reappear when I stop the Client. This renders Synergy completely unusable

David Harrison

Sorry to say that Synergy is now behaving much better with Creative Cloud Applications such as Indesign, Photoshop et al, at least on my Win7 machine. It no longer interferes with keyboard shortcuts.

It also seems to play nicer with Hexchat, although there's still a little laginess there when moving from one machine to the next.

So that's one less excuse to pause work and enjoy a coffee instead. Cheers, devs. :shock:

OSX 10.11.6 client (macbook)

RHEL 6.6 server

1.8.4 stable release

On the macbook side, the cursor is very jerky, shimmery. Impossible to use. I reverted back to 1.8.3-stable. Work perfectly.

Ugh!

Kelvin D. Olson

Server is TrebleBoot of Linux Mint 17.3 (mostly), Win10 Pro (daily), and UbuntuSomething (rarely).

Client is Mac OS X Sierra (or whatever the heck just came out mid-2016).

At the upgrade to 1.8.3, had trouble getting it to start, making SSL-related complaints. Shut off all the SSL stuff and it started working again, and I've had no problems.

Now, with upgrade to 1.8.4, it seems to be working just fine whether server is Mint or Win. But on Mint, the /usr/share/icons/synergy.ico is suddenly broken. The app still works, but on the launch panel, I'm clicking a tiny black icon with a red circle-and-slash.

Going to sudo root, rm that synergy.ico file, and try to re-install from the synergy-v1.8.4-stable-a6ff907-Linux-x86_64.deb file.

...(clickety, click)...

Nope, that didn't work. The synergy.ico file came back, but it's worthless. It's been fine. For years. Why screw with it?

elvind@kelvind-gameBeast2 ~/.synergy $ ls -latr /usr/share/icons |tail
drwxr-xr-x   7 root root  4096 Nov 28  2015 gnome-colors-common
drwxr-xr-x   7 root root  4096 Nov 28  2015 gnome-wise
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root  4096 Mar 30  2016 ubuntu-mono-light
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root  4096 Mar 30  2016 ubuntu-mono-dark
drwxr-xr-x 332 root root 12288 Sep  6 07:15 ..
drwxr-xr-x  12 root root  4096 Sep 24 18:13 gnome
drwxr-xr-x  11 root root  4096 Sep 24 18:13 mate
-rw-r--r--   1 root root 24277 Oct 11 04:23 synergy.ico   <--that file is $#!+
drwxr-xr-x  16 root root  4096 Oct 17 13:17 hicolor
drwxr-xr-x  28 root root  4096 Oct 19 07:32 .
kelvind@kelvind-gameBeast2 ~/.synergy $ 

Alas, the actual functionality that I require of Synergy has long been and continues to be nearly flawless. This post is much ado about nothing.

I can probably re-install 1.8.3 or 1.8.2 from the .deb files, grab a backup copy of synergy.ico, and use that one.

...(clickety, clack)...

Yup, that worked.

Went into Menu, Administration, Synaptic Package Manager (because I'm one of those GUI types) and removed Synergy 1.8.4.

Went to my Downloads folder, and double-clicked synergy-v1.8.3-stable-db9181b-Linux-x86_64.deb and installed it. Icon on launch pad immediately fixed.

$ cp /usr/share/icons/synergy.ico .

Back to Downloads folder, and double-clicked synergy-v1.8.4-stable-a6ff907-Linux-x86_64.deb to re-install the latest. Icon on launch panel immediately broken.

$ sudo cp ./synergy.ico /usr/share/icons/

Icon on launch panel still broken. Right-click on it, Properties, verify that within there, it DOES appear correct.

Reboot.

Icon on launch panel is again fine.

Hello Everyone,

Everything was working fine until I decided to upgrade Synergy server and client to 1.8.4-stable-a6ff907. My mouse disappears when I go between screens. It comes back if I click the left mouse button. This work around is not desirable and is dangerous because I might click and change something unintentionally.

I upgrade because the client would often disconnect from the host.

The server runs on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS. The client is running on Windows 7.

I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me.

Si

William Welker

Still a fail! It seems no new version release addresses the issue of the loss of mouse buttons! 1.8.4 still looses passing of the scroll wheel and passing of the mouse buttons! And I am only using Windows 10 machines, having removed a OS-X 10 (Apple) machine because I was so fed-up with this problem.

Still a fail! It seems no new version release addresses the issue of the loss of mouse buttons! 1.8.4 still looses passing of the scroll wheel and passing of the mouse buttons! And I am only using Windows 10 machines, having removed a OS-X 10 (Apple) machine because I was so fed-up with this problem.

i'm having that with 8.1 to ubuntu too, if I go back to the server and click out in the open desktop off-focus the office windows or the vmware console windows, it clears up.

Eric deRiel

Hey Nick, thanks for your announcement, and to everyone over there for making a great product.

Unfortunately, I've had immediate trouble with Synergy 1.8.4 on twin Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1 machines, connected via ethernet over a local switch, that previously worked flawlessly.

The problem I'm experiencing is a continuous, irregular cycle of successful connection followed by an eventual error, reset, and reconnect. Here's a characteristic sample from the client log:

[2016-10-27T11:05:39] ERROR: ssl error occurred (system call failure)

[2016-10-27T11:05:39] ERROR: eof violates ssl protocol

[2016-10-27T11:05:39] WARNING: cursor may not be visible

[2016-10-27T11:05:39] INFO: process exited normally

[2016-10-27T11:05:39] INFO: detected process not running, auto restarting

[2016-10-27T11:05:43] INFO: starting client

[ things then work again, for a while ]

Meanwhile, the server just shows the client reconnecting. I will probably have to revert to 1.8.3 and ignore Synergy update notifications, which I hate doing.

here is my issue. Server: win10, Client: win7

I opened a cmd windows and keep ping the other one, most of the time it's connected, but sometime the connection is lost, but I can't identify the issue, cable and the USB LAN adapter are all working perfect when I use them individually. While connected in synergy, sometime the connection is lost, and the client is dead, it's OK and I understand. however, sometime the connection is fine but the client is dead too.

synergy ver 1.8.5

What's the problem?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
GivingTales

Hi,

Hungarian keyboard is still not useable in synergy, ű ű á keys are not working between PC(server) and Mac (client). I reported this bug in april-may when we purchased the sw and we still can't use it.

Could you please look into it, and suggest some kind of solution.

• 4 weeks later...
Sanil Jacob

Hello,

I am having issue with Finalcut pro 10.3 media skimmer. I have Win10 pro running synergy server and Cilient on MacOS sierra . Everything works fine except the mouse skimmer not working on Finalcut pro 10.3. Following link will shed more light on issue http://www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro ... ng-skimmer . Any suggestions will be great.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...