Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Compatibility between version

I have been running Synergy on two Linux systems for a long time.

One is Fedora 18 using synergy-1.4.10-1.fc18.x86_64 (10.1.1.100 synergys)

The other system is RHEL Linux running synergy-1.4.10-1.x86_64 (10.1.1.101 synergyc)

Everything has been working great for years.

I brought up a new RHEL Linux system with synergy-1.7.6-2.el6.x86_64

Using the same configuration files and IP addresses for the machines (new Linux system set to 10.1.1.101) the shared keyboard and mouse are not working.

I have been using an iptables rule: iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 24800 -j ACCEPT

I took down the firewall on the new box and that made no difference so I do not think that this is blocking traffic.

Question: Should different versions such as 1.4.10 and 1.7.6-2 work together?

I am reluctant to upgrade my Fedora 18 box unless necessary as backing out may be a bit difficult if things don't work and I don't know if I will find a 1.7.6 version that works with the old Fedora.

I also did not spot any Synergy log messages to give me a clue as to what might be happening.

Replying to my own post. I upgraded the system used as Synergy server to synergy-1.8.4-1.x86_64. Found that it was still not communicating with client running synergy-1.7.6-2.el6.x86_64. At that point I changed the logging level from ERROR to INFO and quickly found that problem was due to client side name changing. I edited the /etc/synergy.conf file on the server side with the new client name and all worked fine. So at this point server side version 1.8 is communicating fine with client side version 1.7. I do not know if server side version 1.3 would have actually worked but suspect it might have.