Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Just purchased, wont connect

Bradley Marshall Wistehuff

Bradley Marshall Wistehuff

I have synergy on a 10.11.6 mac and this windows 10 (as host). The host is working perfectly fine. As I try to connect to the host, it fails to connect giving me

WARNING: failed to connect to server: cannot connect socket: Host is down

and repeats eternally.

Here are some details I think may be useful:

The host is connected via ethernet, mac is connected via wifi. The network is my apartment's, and to gain access to the internet as a resident, login details are required.

I have set the pc name on the synergy server config to this host's IP address even. Ensured that the client and the respective named pc on the server config are the same.

I've disabled firewall. Tried connecting both using wifi.

Still no luck; will appreciate any input! Thank you in advance

• 1 month later...
Philip Hebert

Your apartments network may be blocking it. I would recommend getting yourself a private wireless router. Connect the router to Ethernet, and attach all your devices to that Router.

From a security standpoint, I would recommend Never using a public WiFi connection such as your apartments service. You never know who exactly is using it, how secure it is, what they are tracking, etc etc. Always treat them as a Public environment, and isolate yourself from them using your own router and IP ranges.

Kathy Stange

I just had the same problem. I went into :

edit/settings on all my computers and made sure Network security (enable ssl encryption) was not checked.

Hope you got it working!

• 7 months later...
Ryan Altvater

Almost the exact same setup, except I have my own internet through Google Fiber. I just purchased Synergy Pro for the encryption and could not get a successful connection between both Windows 10 PC (host - wired) and macOS Sierra (client - wireless). I had to disable SSL encryption on both machines just to connect. I'm really confused though. How do I utilize the encryption that I just paid extra money for, if it doesn't actually seem to work? I can't find anything so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!