Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

keyboard input sometimes ignored for some Java programs

Barry Weinstein

Before I write support, I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced problems with keyboard input in Java programs on an OS X client.

Synergy is usually flawless. I only have a problem in two programs running on OS X: Moneydance and SQuirreL SQL. Both of these programs are written in Java. I do *not* have this problem with IntelliJ. The problem manifests itself 100% of the time.

Steps to reproduce (all taken on OS X):

- Open SQuirreL.

- Open any other program causing SQuirreL to go into the background.

- Bring SQuirreL to the foreground by clicking on its window in someplace other than the title bar.

- Keyboard input is then ignored. Mouse input is not.

If SQuirreL is brought into the foreground using cmd-tab or clicking in the title bar, then the problem does not happen.

Server - Windows 10.0.14393

Client - OS X 10.11.6

Synergy (both platforms) - 1.8.6-stable-2ab21aa

Anyone else see this or have any ideas?

• 2 years later...
OG WebDev

Not sure if you are still watching this thread.  i've been having this issue with PyCharm, which is in the IntelliJ family of IDE's.

Your steps to reproduce the issue consistently reproduce the issue for me as well.  Also, I've been able to get the caret (text prompt) back by opening the settings dialog, or other dialog using the mouse, but it is a pain in the butt!

If you happen to read this and you have since solved the problem, could you post your solution here?

Edited by OG WebDev
  • 2 months later...
dstutzman_nt

I'm also having this problem in JetBrains WebStorm (from the same company as PyCharm). Same setup as the OP, Windows server and Mac client. This just started for me after I upgraded WebStorm to version 2019.2, but it seems like it's affected other editors for much longer. The cmd+tab workaround is a handy tip at least.

• 3 weeks later...
Nicholas Istre
On 8/19/2019 at 12:17 PM, dstutzman_nt said:

I'm also having this problem in JetBrains WebStorm (from the same company as PyCharm). Same setup as the OP, Windows server and Mac client. This just started for me after I upgraded WebStorm to version 2019.2, but it seems like it's affected other editors for much longer. The cmd+tab workaround is a handy tip at least.

I'm seeing the same, except it's JetBrains Intellij running on a Mac OS X Client controlled from a Linux server.  This has been also reported to JetBrains, at least here: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-215477

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Same with Jetbrains IntelliJ IDEA and Rider.
Logged here with JetBrains until I realised it was 100% caused by Synergy.
https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-225098
Ultimately, this was marked as a duplicate of your https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-215477:D

Here's my how I reproduced the issue:

1. Have a multi-screen setup.
  2. Open IJIDEA, any editor where the Caret / Cursor is visible, including Terminal (In IntelliJ).
  3. Click on Chrome (or any other application) on the other screen.
  4. Click back on any of the IntelliJ IDEA editors.
  5. Caret / Cursor is gone.
  6. Start typing, nothing is entered into the Editor.
  7. Select some text using the mouse, selection works fine, Cursor / Caret still not visible. Type something with the text still selected, nothing happens.

WorkAround 1:
COMMAND + SHIFT + F to open the search dialog, press escape to close the search dialog, Caret / Cursor appears.
This workaround will serve you fine until you click on the different application again.

WorkAround 2:
Adding suppress.focus.stealing=false to #custom IntelliJ IDEA properties had zero useful impact.
Workaround 1 still applies (works).

WorkAround 3:
Adding -Dsuppress.focus.stealing=false and restarting the IDE also had zero useful impact.
Workaround 1 still applies (works).

Now I get to try to find some time in what I guess is one of the USA TimeZones to try to troubleshoot hopefully with a Symless person.
Will post back here if I ever find some time.

• 2 months later...

Another workaround is to press ⌘+` when it happens. Seems to work for me for now, but it's still not ideal.

Edited by genec
  • 4 weeks later...

Arrrrrrggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Please can this be fixed. I thought i was going nuts.

Im a developer, and this is something thats distracting me from working properly. Affects all my jetbrain ide's

1 minute ago, genec said:

Yeah, I got sick of it. The workarounds aren’t acceptable. I switched to Synergy 2 and it works properly. 

Oh wow, I did not know of synergy2. Thanks for your response. I will give that ago.

I reached out to Synergy, and it looks like they are no longer accepting anyone into the beta program.

With that said. Is Symless/Synergy actively looking into this issue ?

This is of great importance and urgency for me, and i'm sure for others that don't  have access to the other builds.

dstutzman_nt

IMO Synergy 2 is a vastly inferior product, even if it has a fix for this issue. Synergy 2 was so bad on initial release that they eventually pulled it from sale and pushed its re-release out by over a year. I actually have access to Synergy 2 and I couldn't even get it to log in the last time I tried it (just a few weeks ago), so as far as I know it's effectively not currently a working product.

The dev team is aware of the issue but they said they'd only prioritize a fix for it if/when more people report the issue. So frankly I don't expect it to get resolved anytime soon.

If you feel so inclined, you can comment on the bug report on github here: https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/issues/6331

There's also this github issue, which in my opinion describes the issue more accurately and concisely: https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/issues/6598

20 hours ago, dstutzman_nt said:

IMO Synergy 2 is a vastly inferior product, even if it has a fix for this issue. Synergy 2 was so bad on initial release that they eventually pulled it from sale and pushed its re-release out by over a year. I actually have access to Synergy 2 and I couldn't even get it to log in the last time I tried it (just a few weeks ago), so as far as I know it's effectively not currently a working product.

The dev team is aware of the issue but they said they'd only prioritize a fix for it if/when more people report the issue. So frankly I don't expect it to get resolved anytime soon.

If you feel so inclined, you can comment on the bug report on github here: https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/issues/6331

There's also this github issue, which in my opinion describes the issue more accurately and concisely: https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/issues/6598

Thank you Good fellow. Thank you for taking your time to respond. Yeah this is a bit frustrating. I may just have to find another solution.