Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Unable to download ns plugin

Joseph Edwards
I am unable to activate Synergy Pro v1.7.2 64-bit on Windows 7 64-bit Professional SP1. The wizard seems to accept my username and password, but then hangs on Downloading plugin: ns (1/1). I have similar issues downloading Bonjour. Probably relevant: I am on a corporate network with no direct Internet access. All Internet traffic goes through a HTTP proxy, specified via a .pac proxy configuration script.
Ben Maxwell
I have the exact same issue under the same circumstances. I suspect if I could enter proxy information into Synergy this would not be an issue. On other apps that I use that download from the internet they all fail unless they allow for a proxy setting.
Amanda Charlton
I am also experiencing this issue on my HP 64-bit Windows 7 machine with using v1.7.2. I am also using this on a corporate computer.
CP Scott
4th for this issue. I'd prefer to be able to register the client via a web browser, and drop a text file somewhere useful on the client machine, or enter a cookie string into the client GUI.
Luis Garza
Count me as number 5....and since it can't download the ns plugin, the client can't connect to the server (which does have the ns plugin installed, because I can get the laptop onto a separate network...but not the windows box). I'm trying with 1.7.3.
v de lachaux
I have the exact same issue on Mac OS X 10.10.3 with 1.7.2 & 1.7.3 Solved by using an internet access without proxy !
Brian Phipps
Add another voice to this list. In my case, I have a machine I cannot remove from behind my proxy. I have resorted to making it a client and not registering it, which is not what I want to do. Adding the ability to enter and use proxy a proxy would be a great addition.
Joeri De Kegel
Same "issue" here. Not able to download the ns plugin. Behind a proxy. Synergy keeps in the state of "unregistered".
Jon Stephan
I also have the same issue, also behind proxy. But I just canceled downloading the plugin and synergy seems to work without it. Though it does say I'm "unregistered".
Luis Garza
If I cancel the download, synergy starts but doesn't connect to the other computer, which got synergy installed and registered and downloaded the ns plugin. Maybe synergy can make it so you can get the clients' registered and the ns plugin installed from the server if they can't get directly online themselves...that way you only need to fight getting one computer on the internet and not all you need to link.
Razvan Lupusoru
I am also behind a corporate proxy and I cannot activate - and as a result cannot enable encryption. Is there a workaround for this issue? I would be okay manually downloading the plugin.
Ben Koenig
Are you all using a secured proxy for HTTPS connections? I don't use proxies so I really had to read up on it. A standard web proxy uses port 80 (http). However when you attempt to make a "secure" such as downloading the plugin from the Registration Wizard, you are using port 443 (secured HTTPS). If your proxy server can't handle HTTPS connections or runs on a different port then you will have issues with securely downloading the SSL plugin. The issue being that the Synergy website can not (and should not) trust your connection. On Windows 7 you can add a different proxy for the HTTPS protocol on port 443, or add [b]www.synergy-project.org[/b] to a list of excluded websites. If you need any help with this let me know!
  • 2 weeks later...
No, this isn't a solution. Squid, BlueCoat, etc enterprise proxies are not necessarily inline devices, nor are they controlled by individual users. I can not change the configuration of the device that is in the corporate headquarters on the East Coast controlled by the IT team. Also, I can not bypass the device. I must configure the browser settings to go to a different destination/port, and the client must obey the configuration.
Kai Kuchenbäcker
This is also a problem for me. I would like to use the software on my working pc. I cant get through the Proxy for registration. No possibillity to connect to the internet on an other way.
Ben Koenig
My bad guys. I should have asked if you had control of your proxies. Word on the street is that version 1.7.4 implements a new plugin downloader. "New" meaning it plays nice with proxies! If any of you are feeling adventurous... The Downloads page has a section for "Nightly builds". I bet your proxy pain will be a thing of the past with the Synergy-v1.7.4-stable builds. Currently the lastest are located here: [url]http://synergy-project.org/nightly?filter=1.7.4[/url] When I go for the nightly I pick the one at the top! Keep in mind these are being [b]tested[/b]. My guess is that an official release will be announced when the nightly learns to behave. Thanks for all of your input! Fixes are happening.
Ben Koenig
Hello everyone, definitely try the 1.7.4 nightly or hold out for the next version. Proxy connections and several other issues have been addressed.
  • 4 weeks later...
Jason Harper
Installed latest 1.7.4 from nightly link (above). Still can't download ns plugin on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit from behind corporate firewall/proxy. Temporarily (I hope) disabled encryption.
  • 4 weeks later...
Gary Butler
Tried yesterday with latest stable (1.7.4) and it won't download the ns plugin. I'm also behind a corporate firewall. Rolled back to 1.6.2 to get the encryption working again.
Bruce Painter
Trying to install 1.7.4 on CentOS 6 (my synergy server) and am behind a corporate firewall. To get past the registration step, I have to define http_proxy and https_proxy and then execute synergy, then I am able to provide my username and password for the registration, however like others have described, the install/configuration hangs at the step of downloading the ns plugin. I can click cancel and synergy will start and connect to my client though it is unregistered and I am unable to use SSL. This has been a problem for as long as I have been using Synergy, is there not a way to support Enterprise customers? Why not provide a web based registration process that generates a key that can be entered on the server or registration file that can be dropped on to the filesystem and provide a manual method of downloading and installing the ns plugin ?
Mikhail Krylatykh
Hi! I've tried to activate v1.7.4 release and nightly versions via proxy on Windows 7. Unsuccessfully: Unknown Error, Code: 12057. Is there any solution or workaround for this issue. Maybe I need to declare any environment variables on my Windows system to?