Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Using Synergy with multiple OSX user accounts

Randolph Williams

Randolph Williams

Sorry if this has been addressed, I looked and couldn't find anything that could help.

So, I have my main computer that is the server for my keyboard and mouse. The client is my secondary. On the client everything works well enough, however, when I'm on the client and change to a different user, I have no access to the synergy app. The app icon is greyed out and a line through it.

I tried giving everyone permission to read/write the app in 'Get Info' to no avail.

Is there anything I can do to use Synergy while on my other accounts?

Thanks

Steve

Randolph Williams

Thank you, I tried that. After asking for my password it went back to a normal prompt. I logged into the other account and tried to open Synergy and got an error that reads 'You can't open the application "Synergy" because it may be damaged or incomplete.

• 1 month later...

I have this same issue. I too tried changing permissions on the app and get the same message. 

I am able to use it in one user account but not the other.

Any suggestions of things I can try or a solution is welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
Sanergy

I was able to do this by installing the Synergy app into the applications folder again on the second user and clicking 'keep both' when prompted.

This then had a Synergy.app and Synergy 2.app in the applications folder and each account used a seperate one and worked when switching users

• 4 weeks later...

I ran into this problem and solved it by changing the file permissions of the app to match those of other apps.

If you open the terminal window and do the following:

cd /Applications

sudo chown -R root:wheel Synergy.app/

sudo chmod +a "everyone deny delete" Synergy.app/

sudo chmod -R 755 Synergy.app/

This sets the same permissions as Apple's built in apps and with these I was able to run Synergy across multiple accounts on my Mac. If you then add the synergy app to the users Login Items there is no downtime when switching between users.

Edited by Jacob W
Correctly named the Login Items
  • 4 weeks later...
Paul Suarez
On 6/7/2017 at 5:59 AM, Jacob W said:

I ran into this problem and solved it by changing the file permissions of the app to match those of other apps.

cd /Applications

This sets the same permissions as Apple's built in apps and with these I was able to run Synergy across multiple accounts on my Mac. If you then add the synergy app to the users Login Items there is no downtime when switching between users.

Thanks for sharing this @Jacob W. Can you verify what macOS version you are using?

On 06/06/2017 at 10:59 PM, Jacob W said:

cd /Applications

This is on macOS 10.12.5.

• 1 year later...
Rick Buford

Sorry to necro an old thread, but this solution appears to have corrected the same problem that suddenly started on a MBP running Mojave after working correctly for several weeks.