Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Can't connect from Ubuntu 16.04 client to Windows 10 server

### Operating Systems ###

Server: Windows 10 (1607)

Client: Ubuntu 16.04

### Synergy Version ###

1.8.7 - stable

### Steps to reproduce bug ###

1. Start synergy on both machines

2. Set the IP

3. 'Apply'

4. Connection failed

### Other info ###

More information:

Synergy works perfectly if I set Ubuntu as the server and Windows as client.

Please see https://gist.github.com/hetong007/a73fb ... a6f8096bb3 for the detailed log (on client). Basically the main error log I can see is `can't read property 640 on window 0x01600163`.

Sometimes I need to restrict my keyboard-mouse only on the windows machine, thus it is ideal if i can set it to be the server.

• 4 months later...
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Hey,

I gave you Synergy 2 early access.

The error "can't read property" could be a red herring (a passive debug message and not the cause of the connection failure).

Could you try Synergy 2 to see if you get the same problem? Press the tilde key ( ` ) to show the log.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thank you so much for this access. It works perfectly now.

Seems that I can click on one of the icons to set it as the server. After I click my Windows 10 icon, I see no error log as in v1.8.

I understand it is still in its early access stage thus there will be more features coming. Two minor questions after my 20-minute experience with it:

1. Could we have a clearer GUI for screen icons? I spent a while to figure out that clicking on one screen makes it the server/host. Not sure how to temporarily disable a screen without shutdown synergy.
  2. Will it be able to be minimized to system tray? 

Thanks again for your help.

Oh, just realized that it is not "click" makes two machines connect, but instead it is if their icons are connected. Seems like no server/client concept anymore. 

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Actually clicking the screen doesn't make it the host/server. Synergy now auto-switches based on which computer had the latest input (right now it only detects clicks and key presses, but going forward this will switch based on mouse movements). This is so that you can use any computer as the host/server automatically instead of having to switch manually.