Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Error code 12057

Graham Stoddart-Stones

Graham Stoddart-Stones
I have been running Synergy happily for several months; this morning my Windows 7 client invited me to upgrade to the latest version (which I think was 1.7.2?). The download and installation was successful, but on re-starting the system kept coming up with a Code 1, Error Code 12057 message - and instructed me to contact the helpdesk. I checked the Question and Answer forum, and found a message from another user about Error 12057. However, the last message in the thread said that the problem had been fixed - but there was no indication of cause or resolution. I run the server version of Synergy on my Mac Miniserver, and it has not asked to be upgraded. I wondered if the error code represents a mismatch between the server version and the client version, but have not been able to find any information further to that above. Any help to resolve this would be greatly appreciated, thank you
Ben Koenig
Hi, There is probably a simple solution here somewhere, we just have to find it. If you can capture the full log output that would be awesome and maybe someone here can shed some light on what is going on. I like to enable the "Log to file" option in settings. This way you have a file with the entire log output that you can send to the devs and help us here see what is going on. -Ben
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
[quote="Graham Stoddart-Stones"]Code 1, Error Code 12057[/quote] Is this when you click the 'Start' button?
Graham Stoddart-Stones
Ben: Because the new version does not even get started - the error message comes up before anything else, and then shuts down the application - I am unable (I think) to adjust logging. I found the following at the top of synergd, the only text file in the Synergy directory. Does the logging add to the top of the file, or the bottom, please? There is no date-time stamp on the entries: INFO: watchdog status: error INFO: using last known command: "C:/Program Files/Synergy/synergyc.exe" -f --no-tray --debug INFO --name gss-toshC655 --ipc --stop-on-desk-switch --enable-drag-drop 192.168.1.75:24800 INFO: service command updated INFO: starting new process activeDesktop:Winlogon INFO: starting new process INFO: drag and drop enabled ERROR: failed to get desktop path, no drop target available, error=2 NOTE: started client NOTE: connecting to '192.168.1.75': 192.168.1.75:24800 INFO: watchdog status: ok NOTE: connected to server NOTE: stopped client WARNING: detected application not running, pid=3380 INFO: backing off, wait=2s, failures=1 INFO: starting new process activeDesktop:Default INFO: starting new process INFO: drag and drop enabled NOTE: started client NOTE: connecting to '192.168.1.75': 192.168.1.75:24800 INFO: watchdog status: ok NOTE: connected to server INFO: entering screen INFO: leaving screen INFO: entering screen INFO: leaving screen
The "code 12057" comes from Windows, not Synergy. This error seems to have something to do with part of the verification of SSL certificates. Sometimes this can be fixed by doing the following steps: Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Security options -> “Check for server certificate revocation” Uncheck the above checkbox and try again, it may work now. You can check the box again as soon as you get logged in to Synergy, it won't check any more once you're logged in.
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Peter Buzas
[quote="the-wes"]The "code 12057" comes from Windows, not Synergy. This error seems to have something to do with part of the verification of SSL certificates. Sometimes this can be fixed by doing the following steps: Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Advanced -> Security options -> “Check for server certificate revocation” Uncheck the above checkbox and try again, it may work now. You can check the box again as soon as you get logged in to Synergy, it won't check any more once you're logged in.[/quote] I have this checked and since I'm using a corporate laptop I'm unable to change it (it's grayed out saying "Some settings are managed by your system administrator"). Getting the same 12057 error when trying to register my Synergy during installation - any way to get this to work without unchecking that check box? Edited by Guest
There is not a way to go through Synergy's registration process without being able to check that box, however Synergy itself will still work fine. My best advice in that case is to just not register Synergy. It won't be limited or stop working or anything like that.
Peter Buzas
There does seem to be a limitation - on my Mac client (where registration had no issues) I can enable SSL encryption, on my Windows 7 server (where I cannot register and getting this error) SSL cannot be enabled.
This means you have Synergy Pro. You're right, SSL is enabled by completing the wizard, and those who can't complete the wizard won't be able to use it. I believe this will be fixed in a future version.
Ben Koenig
Are any of you running antivirus software? Norton and similar products will often refuse connections for vague reasons. SSL connections are also classed differently.
  • 2 weeks later...
Ben Koenig
I know I tried! :oops: Googling MS errors always gives me a headache! My skillz are nothing compared to Windows network errors! I keep getting hits for "Run this program to clean your PC. Totally not a virus, we promise!" I really hope Synergy users don't click those links. Magically solve all security errors by installing a virus... I think I'll pass! :lol: