Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Windows Key Override and Inactive Screen Hover

I have been using Synergy for about 2 months and really like it. A few days ago I switched my desk around and moved Synergy server from one machine to the other. Previously, Windows (Server) and Mac (Client) was working great, however I needed the Mac to be server now as I really wanted to use the Magic Mouse (ergonomic reasons). Now my setup is:

Mac OS X 10.12.4 (Synergy Server)

Windows 10 (Synergy Client)

I only have 2 issues at this time:

1. In some applications (namely ScreenConnect), the Windows button is no longer solely captured. ScreenConnect is a support tool we use and previously when I was in the window hitting the Windows key would perform that action on the remote machine. Since setting up my Windows 10 PC as a client, when I hit windows while captive in ScreenConnect, I get a Start Menu activation on my machine AND the remote computer. Also when this happens, the windows key gets "stuck" on the remote client until I mash it with option again. Annoying since I've grown to use Windows + keyboard shortcuts and now they longer work on my client machines. This did not happen when Windows was the server, or when the keyboard is plugged directly into the PC (just tested). It seems to be how Synergy is sending the windows key as opposed to a direct input keypress from the keyboard.

2. When my cursor is on the Windows client, any website that is open in Chrome on my Mac that has hover-over highlighting (specifically in wide rows), the highlighting still happens on the Mac OS, which is kinda visually annoying. If I switch to another window that doesn't have hover-over highlighting it stops, but its almost as if my cursor is still invisibly moving around the screen. It is relative to the Y position of the mouse on the other screen.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Augusto Santa Cruz

Hi PhilS,

Your first issue might be related to a bug that is being worked by our developers that has been happening in remote clients and virtual machines. In these cases, the fix will come in a future release of Synergy. 

As for your other concern, if you can attach any logs so that we can take a look, it could provide more clues. I tried to search all information available but could not find anything specific.

Thanks

9 minutes ago, Augusto Santa Cruz said:

As for your other concern, if you can attach any logs so that we can take a look, it could provide more clues. I tried to search all information available but could not find anything specific.

Where would I locate the logs on the OS X Synergy Server? I checked the normal locations and didn't see it.

Also an issue just started happening today where the cursor takes about 2 seconds to appear on the Win10 client when jumping to that screen. Selection works but the cursor icon is just missing and pops up about 3 seconds after hitting the screen. Both clients are on the same switch and there is minimal latency so I don't think it is a networking issue (especially since selection is working just the icon is missing)?

The cursor appearance delay seems to have been resolved by disconnecting and reconnecting my Mac server from its external monitors. Weird bug but that's resolved.

My remaining issues are the windows key issues and the strange ghost hover on the Mac.

Also to update the strange ghosting - I have a better example. On my Mac (server) I have Screen Sharing open connected to another mac. When I leave that window the mouse pointer stays there (normal). When I go over to the Windows client, the mouse INSIDE the Screen Connect app on the Mac jitters around relative to my mouse movements on the pc client. However it doesn't actually effect a change - more like there is a rubber band attached to the cursor - when I go faster it moves more but when I stop it bounces back.

And I think the resolution for the cursor appearance delay was a fluke. It has returned and resetting NVRAM/display connections on Mac has no effect. Reinstall of client fixed it for about 1 minute then it happened again.