Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Ctrl-Alt-Del on a client.

Go to solution Solved by Paul Suarez,

I need to unlock my client Windows computer.  How do I submit the Ctrl-Alt-Del command?  What I try it sends it to the Windows 10 "Server" rather than the Windows 7 client.

• Solution
Paul Suarez

Hi gbbiv. You can change some settings on your client for you to use CTRL+ALT+PAUSE BREAK. Changing some settings on your Windows client is needed in order to get this to work. No settings needs to be changed on the server side. First, in Synergy, 'Elevate Mode' must be checked on the Edit -> Settings dialog. Additionally, some Windows settings needs to be changed as follows:

1. Hit Windows Key + R to print up the Run dialog and type gpedit.msc 
  2. Go to the Local Group Policy Editor (Type gpedit.msc in the run menu)
  3. Dig down to Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Windows Logon Options
  4. Open up the Disable or enable software Secure Attention Sequence option
  5. Set it to Enabled and then select Services and Ease of Access applications below, click OK

You should now be able to issue a Ctrl+Alt+Del to Windows over Synergy while on the lock screen. Note: Sometimes the Ctrl and Alt keys stick, just press them each once to un-stick them.

On Windows servers, Ctrl+Alt+Del is always intercepted by Windows and is never passed to Synergy. We have implemented Ctrl+Alt+Pause/Break as a workaround, which will send a Ctrl+Alt+Del sequence across to the client. Note that the cursor must still be moved over to the client system for this to work.

There's an additional entry in our FAQ about this here.

Couldn't get ctrl-alt-del to work even after the Group Policy edit.... but doesn't matter because the ctrl-alt-pause worked great.

Also, I looked around on the symless site for a FAQ relating to this and never found a link to the FAQ at github... is there a link somewhere I missed?  Just thinking it might help to have a sticky to that somewhere.  There also didn't seem to be a forum topic for items like this... so I just guessed.

Thanks for the help all is good now.

• Like 1
Paul Suarez

Actually when you click on the FAQ button on our site, you will be getting the same GitHub Wiki link.

I clicked on Help... then Knowledge Base... from there I didn't see anything that leads to the github FAQ.  I looked around again now and see that down lower there is the User Guide and FAQ links.

Thanks.  Might want to add a link from the Knowledge Base..

• Paul Suarez locked this topic