Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Cannot connect - ip confusion?

Go to solution Solved by Paul Suarez,

Peter Mathews

Win 10 Pro 1607 for server and client, latest Synergy - but the server does not notice that the client is trying to connect. I notice that the bolded ip shown in the server window is not the ip my router and ipconfig recognises for the server -  that ip appears later in the list, un-bolded. According to ipconfig your bolded ip is associated with virtualbox. I have Oracle installed and several virtual pc's configured - but not running. So that is presumably why the client trying to access server via the 'Oracle' ip does not work. The ipconfig and router recognised ip for the server do not work either - presumably because the server end is expecting to be connected to via the bolded ip, so it is (?) rejecting the client that tries to connect to it via the 'router' ip.

Is this the explanation? And whether it is or not or not - any fix suggestions? (Not including uninstalling Oracle virtual box?

• Solution
Paul Suarez

Hi Peter. Can you try disabling the network adapter for the virtual box before starting Synergy? You can enable it again after connecting the client and the server.

Peter Mathews

Good news and bad - and ultimately good triumphs! 

Good news, - with the virtual box ethernet adaptor disabled under its Driver tab, ipconfig and Synergy on the server both agree that the ip associated with the  VB has disappeared and the 'regular' ip for the server is now bolded on the Servers synergy window. 

Bad news is that setting the client to the servers Synergy window's  bolded / regular ip still did not produce a connection. 

The good news is that this was because the client had connected to a different local wifi LAN - setting this onto the same LAN as the server (VB adaptor still disabled) allowed connection.

I then enabled the VBox adaptor,  shut down the server Synergy and then restarted the server synergy. Connection was re-established - with the client still using the 'regular' ip - but the bolded ip on the server synergy had shifted back to the VBox adaptor ip.

So we now know two things. Both client and server have to be on the same LAN(!), and the bolded ip in the Synergy server window is not always the one to enter into the client!

Thanks for the help -

Peter

Edited by Peter Mathews
  • Like 1