Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Switching languages

Hi,

I am running Synergy server on a Linux Gnome 3 installation and client on a Windows 10 installation. Both installations are multi-language and have SHIFT+ALT mapped to 'switch keyboard language'. When switched to the Windows client, this combination does nothing, except that sometimes it completely messes up Synergy and I have to kill the client to get my keyboard back.

I suspect the issue is that the X server is intercepting the SHIFT-ALT combination before it gets a chance to reach the Synergy server program.

Any way to workaround this? Either to switch language on both installations or the currently active one?

Thanks, best regards! Panos

Thank you very much for your reply! I have tried v.1.9.0. (rc3 I think) Let me better describe my problem:

I have two screens, call them A (Linux server) and B (Windows client). Both have SHIFT+ALT mapped to switch between English and Greek input. I have also setup the following hotkeys:

CTRL-ALT-RIGHTARROW = switch to screen B

CTRL-ALT-LEFTARROW = switch to screen A

As far as I know these key combinations are language-agnostic.

Now, a minimal test-case:

a) Start with cursor on screen A (Linux server) and English Keyboard.

b) Switch to Greek.

c) Press CTRL-ALT-RIGHTARROW to get to B (Windows client).

d) Now the cursor is on B, layout on A is still Greek, and: layout icon in B shows up as English... but as soon as I start to type it switches to Greek and typed letters are in Greek. So far, so good.

e1) Press CTRL-ALT-LEFTARROW to get back to A. Nothing happens.

e2) Press SHIFT-ALT to switch to English (remember we are still on B). Nothing happens.

At this point the only way to get back to A or switch keyboard input, is to use the mouse to switch screens.

Hope this description helps.

Best regards! Panos