Hello! đź‘‹

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

How to do a complete clean uninstall on Ubuntu 14.04

Go to solution Solved by DrRomeoChair,

DrRomeoChair

In trying to fix some connectivity problems with Synergy on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit, I tried to completely uninstall synergy and wipe every trace from my machine. However, on re-installing synergy, even after reboots and wiping every file related to synergy I could find, the system still remembers my activation code and last configuration.

This is quite annoying -- there should be a way to totally clear all information from a previous install, can you please provide that?

I'm guessing you hide this information somewhere that you don't want to advertise... there's no place obvious from the contents of the .deb file, so your program must create the hidden file. OK, that's fine (I guess?) ,  but if you're creating hidden information on my system, then you need to provide a method/utility/utility to wipe it out as well. Please advise.

I don't imagine the version matters that much, but FYI I was installing/uninstalling synergy-v1.8.8-stable-25a8cb2-Linux-x86_64.deb when I ran into this problem.

Edited by DrRomeoChair
  • Solution
DrRomeoChair

OK, maybe bad form to answer your own question, but for others who might have the same one (I did search the forum and found it unanswered here):

strace clued me in that the 'persistent' config file is located in

~/.config/Synergy/Synergy.conf

when I did a 'thorough' search I didn't think of searching for 'Synergy' instead of just 'synergy'...

Edited by DrRomeoChair