Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

[LOCKED] Synergy loses ability to click in client

FixJamesFee'sBug

Can we get any sort of dev response? Is it on some sort of known issue list? The frustrating part is it seems like nobody is working on this.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James Fee

• Paul Suarez

• BzowK

• jayvee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This only appears to happen in my work machine where i have Visual Studio installed an open most of the time, both machines are running windows 10 and both are connected via wired Ethernet. I have my

I should also mention that when the click stops working the keyboard does not.  i am typing this message on the client machine where the click has stopped working and i used keyboard commands to switc

This annoys me and happens almost every time I use my computer. After searching for a resolution I was sad to see this has been an issue for so long. Is it even listed as a known bug? have the devs ac

Posted Images

For those of you using AutoHotKey + Synergy, one thing that seems to have reduced the "lost mouse clicks" problem is the following directive in the AutoHotKey ".ahk" script:

#Hotstring NoMouse

The problem's still there, but it seems to happen less frequently.  I'd be curious if other AutoHotKey users see a reduction in the frequency of lost mouse clicks.  

See this link for additional information:  https://autohotkey.com/docs/commands/_Hotstring.htm

For those of you not using AutoHotKey, do you use Zoom web-conferencing/web-meetings?  Zoom triggered the problem for me this morning.  

James Fee

I don't use AutoHotKey nor Zoom web-conferencing/web-meetings.  I am fairly certain my culprit is Visual Studio.

• Like 1
Kelvin Tran
On 6/15/2018 at 11:21 AM, FixJamesFee'sBug said:

Can we get any sort of dev response? Is it on some sort of known issue list? The frustrating part is it seems like nobody is working on this.

You may not be aware of this, but Synergy's team is reduced to two people. I'm sorry to say that compared to the other issues that they have to deal with (not limited to software development), as blunt as this may sound and I'm sorry if this is offensive to you, this isn't a super high priority. Compared to finding SDEs (software developers), business administration, handling their support tickets as a two-person team, etc., the stress of handling an entire business as a two-person team is going to force them to put some things to the side and compared to some of the more pertinent issues that they must deal with and unfortunately, this issue is one of those that, while I am in complete agreement that it should be fixed at some point (as it may be true with other software), it's an issue that is known but an issue that will probably not see a fix in the immediate future. Sorry.

Kelvin Tran
3 hours ago, James Fee said:

I don't use AutoHotKey nor Zoom web-conferencing/web-meetings.  I am fairly certain my culprit is Visual Studio.

Have you done some testing to confirm this?

Kelvin Tran
15 hours ago, jayvee said:

For those of you using AutoHotKey + Synergy, one thing that seems to have reduced the "lost mouse clicks" problem is the following directive in the AutoHotKey ".ahk" script:

#Hotstring NoMouse

The problem's still there, but it seems to happen less frequently.  I'd be curious if other AutoHotKey users see a reduction in the frequency of lost mouse clicks.  

See this link for additional information:  https://autohotkey.com/docs/commands/_Hotstring.htm

I'm not familiar with AHK's scripting syntax, can you please explain to an idiot (me) what a hotstring is?

FixJamesFee'sBug
7 hours ago, Kelvin Tran said:

You may not be aware of this, but Synergy's team is reduced to two people. I'm sorry to say that compared to the other issues that they have to deal with (not limited to software development), as blunt as this may sound and I'm sorry if this is offensive to you, this isn't a super high priority. Compared to finding SDEs (software developers), business administration, handling their support tickets as a two-person team, etc., the stress of handling an entire business as a two-person team is going to force them to put some things to the side and compared to some of the more pertinent issues that they must deal with and unfortunately, this issue is one of those that, while I am in complete agreement that it should be fixed at some point (as it may be true with other software), it's an issue that is known but an issue that will probably not see a fix in the immediate future. Sorry.

I do find it offensive that the largest and most frustrating bug is not a "super high priority". Hearing that that this whole operation is a two man team generates no sympathy from me. Running a business is hard, and it's even harder when you are not making your customers happy. Furthermore, hearing of these struggles makes me lose all hope of ever seeing that long laundry list of features in Synergy 2 ever coming to life.

I feel I just bought an early access game on steam.

James Fee
8 hours ago, Kelvin Tran said:

While i understand you are a small company/team, this is not the best way to communicate your issues in this social media world.  I had let this problem sit dormant for months and had learned to live with it until others brought it back up.  I too thought it was not the end of the world in using this product, but you don't go around telling people that their issue is petty and unworthy with an attitude like they are also petty and unworthy.

Kelvin Tran
On 6/20/2018 at 9:20 AM, FixJamesFee'sBug said:

I do find it offensive that the largest and most frustrating bug is not a "super high priority". Hearing that that this whole operation is a two man team generates no sympathy from me. Running a business is hard, and it's even harder when you are not making your customers happy. Furthermore, hearing of these struggles makes me lose all hope of ever seeing that long laundry list of features in Synergy 2 ever coming to life.

I feel I just bought an early access game on steam.

On 6/20/2018 at 9:54 AM, James Fee said:

While i understand you are a small company/team, this is not the best way to communicate your issues in this social media world.  I had let this problem sit dormant for months and had learned to live with it until others brought it back up.  I too thought it was not the end of the world in using this product, but you don't go around telling people that their issue is petty and unworthy with an attitude like they are also petty and unworthy.

Two things.

Firstly, I'm stating fact, and I'm sorry if it stresses you to hear it. Symless and their development team values your feedback, but I'm the moderator that doesn't care about sugar-coating the truth. I'd much rather you know the truth and that you be told that while they have this issue in consideration, it's an issue, that, unfortunately, takes somewhat of a backseat. I'm not going to come to this forum and use the classic line of "We are aware of this and working on a fix for it." It is a line that is misleading, especially if there are indeed issues that take the front seat. It provides unfair expectation for timeliness of a solution and is a line I refuse to use if it isn't true just quite yet. Do you want me to mislead you and be a "good customer support agent", or tell you the truth at the risk of your dissatisfaction? I'll take the latter, because I'll be content with you at least knowing that it will be some time before your issue gets a fix, and I'm telling you why that is. To me, that seems like the best customer support that I can give. My job is to control the forums and give you information. My methodology of giving information revolves around the idea of not sugar-coating things, and I'm sorry if that offends you.

It may be your largest and most frustrating bug, but (and here comes my truthful side) there are higher priority bugs. That is not to say that this isn't a priority, but it's to say that other priorities must be managed first. I'm sorry that you're offended, but that's about the extent I'll go to. I've told you very clearly what you should expect. If you don't want a refund, enjoy the wait.

I never said your issue is petty/unworthy. Let me quote myself.

On 6/20/2018 at 1:18 AM, Kelvin Tran said:

compared to the other issues that they have to deal with (not limited to software development), as blunt as this may sound and I'm sorry if this is offensive to you, this isn't a super high priority. Compared to finding SDEs (software developers), business administration, handling their support tickets as a two-person team, etc., the stress of handling an entire business as a two-person team is going to force them to put some things to the side and compared to some of the more pertinent issues that they must deal with

"compared to other issues that they have to deal with ... this isn't a super high priority." I never said it wasn't a super high priority. I said that compared to other issues, it isn't a super high priority. Your issue is important, but it's not as important as other issues that have much more severe effects and have a much higher percentage of the user base reporting them. Again, I'm sorry that you're offended, but I'm not going to mislead or lie to you. This is an issue that will take a backseat compared to getting Synergy working for the vast majority of people.

• Thanks 1

Hey Guys - 

I'm having the exact same issue.  My setup includes 3 systems including an Ubuntu system (left), Win10x64-1803 (center/host), & another Win10x64-1803 system (right).  I experience clicking not working on both the Ubunutu and Win10 clients therefore am certain that the issue resides somewhere within the host/server software.  Here are some other notes...

• All systems are running 1.9.1 stable
  • Win10 systems are on 1803 and fully patched
  • Still experience issue when other apps are closed.  Experience it on Ubuntu although a fresh install
  • Clicking back on the host then back in the client sometimes resolves the issue, but only a small percentage of the time
  • Both Win10 systems have Windows Firewall disabled.  I tried disabling Defender on the host, but that didn't affect the issue (still occurred)

Any suggestions?  Thanks

Davewill

The only thing I've found that works consistently is to not use my Windows 10 machine as the host. Luckily that's acceptable in my configuration. Visual Studio 2015 on the host is the definite culprit in my setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update from my previous post on June 25th...

I uninstalled Synergy 1.9.1 from both Windows 10 PCs (one of them is the host) using Revo to ensure leftover files and registry keys were removed then downloaded and installed 1.8.1.  Once configured using the same setup as before, I experienced the same issue within a few minutes.  Some have mentioned it can be fixed by moving the cursor back to the host, clicking, then going back to a client.  This only resolves the issue for me about 10% of the time now.

Is there any planned fix for this or comment from the devs?  Thanks!

Forgot to ask - is anyone aware of a potential workaround in the form of using a specific older version, uninstalling specific OS updates, registry edits, etc?  Thanks!

FixJamesFee'sBug

I asked this last month in this same thread. You can scroll up and read, but to summerize the volunteer moderator gave me a sob story about how the whole company is two guys, and this major app breaking flaw is not high up on their priority/bug fixing list.

It appears to affect anyone who uses a windows 10 machine as a host. This issue is on synergy 1 and 2.

I reccomend asking for a refund and finding another product as we have had no official response on this issue for over 1 yr.

Looking at the huge list of feature to be added makes me laugh, because they can't even fix a major bug. If I didn't pay $14 for this product I would be pissed. Feel bad for anyone who got duped into buying it for $50.

Davewill

The only reliable solution is to use some other system as host. In my case, I can use my MacBook as the host...which is not ideal as I have a Microsoft keyboard and mouse and the MS software for windows lets me configure the extra buttons in ways that I can't with them connected to the MacBook.

Anonymouser

I'm seeing this issue too, but it seems to me that it has something to do with Visual Studio running in admin mode (not sure, just a guess from reading this thread). The code for the Synergy core is on open source (on GitHub), so we may actually be able to find & fix the bug ourselves since it seems most/all of who are affected are developers. I'm not yet willing to commit to fixing it, but will try to look into it this weekend.

Has anyone been able to find a consistent way to reproduce it? If someone can find a reliable way to reproduce it I'm actually willing to commit to fixing it myself.

@Kelvin Tran/@Nick Bolton: Can you guys share with us some tips/guidance on where/what you think the issue could be? Even just a starting point (class/file name). Anything can help as I'm not familiar with the codebase.

Disclaimer: I'm just user who happens to be a software engineer. I don't work for/with Synergy (never have).

Guys -

To note, I have done the below since my last post however there has been no change as the issue is still occurring:

• Upgraded to 1.10 (both Windows systems and working on Ubuntu one as you can see in this post)
  • Introduced AutoHotKey script suggested - no difference
  • Installed / updated Visual Studio redists

To remind all, I had other major issues with Synergy 2 which is when support advised me to go back to the stable 1.x version.  I considered trying my linux box as the host, but having issue with it right now as posted in the link above. 

Overall, this is a HUGE issue for me and to be honest is the only reason I haven't suggested use of Synergy for our company which would probably purchase plenty of licenses.  I can understand that their DEVs may be a small staff, but they just released 1.10 which seemingly brought 3 bug fixes and 12 enhancements.  I'm more than confident that all in this thread would rather have this issue resolved rather than 1 or even all 12 enhancements.  In the past, I was Synergy's biggest advocate; yet due to the number of people with this issue I cannot be (and maybe even turn into the opposite soon) until this issue is resolved.

Synergy Team: Please advise

Thank You

Edited by BzowK
  • Thanks 1
Anonymouser

Some more info I've figured out while playing around with it:

• It happens even without admin mode or UAC popup
    • i.e. I was wrong about Visual Studio running in Admin mode being the cause, but it could still be something to do with Visual Studio
  • There seems to be a slight delay for when it kicks in (sometimes)
    • I noticed a couple of times a couple of clicks would work then they would stop. I think someone else mentioned this earlier too.
  • It even happens in reverse i.e. can't unclick
    • I moved mouse to client PC and immediately clicked & held a window's bar to drag it around, and then when the issue happened instead of not being able to click, I couldn't unclick. Window was being dragged around regardless of what I did with the mouse button (i.e. stuck clicked).

This was on version 1.9.1-stable-2a0225c1, I'm about to upgrade to 1.10 and will reply if that changes anything.

I'd appreciate it if someone else can help try to find a consistent repro or help understand the issue so we can fix it ourselves on the open source repo or at least make it easier for @Nick Bolton to fix it himself.

Good info - thanks.  Didn't know about some of that.  Wonder if we could find out which version this appeared in then examine the changelog for it would yield a clue?  Happy to test or submit whatever is desired.

My setup is 3 PCs which left to right are Ubuntu, WIn10, Win10 with the middle being the host. Unfortunately, today I had to uninstall Synergy and use Input Director between the two Win10 PCs as they are the main ones.  It obviously doesn't support Linux which I don't use as much anyways, but with Windows it's flawless and has more features than Mouse without Borders.  It's a shame that I have to revert to free software over the Synergy license I paid for after an issue that's been open so long, but had to work.

Definitely have the desire to revert back to Synergy, but so far haven't even gotten a reply to my last post.  Will continue monitoring this thread in hopes, though. 

Anonymouser

It just happened again from a fresh start but this time I haven't launched Visual Studio yet. So I don't think it has anything to do with Visual Studio.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys - 

Being frustrated, I left this post alone for a while and used Input Director in the meantime.  As it's been over a month, I decided to check back to find that not only is there still no newer version bringing potential sug fixes, but no response from the devs on the thread that I can see.

This is obviously a big issue affecting many as it has more views & replies than any recent post.  Can we please get something going devs?

Thanks

Edited by BzowK
  • Kelvin Tran locked this topic