Hello! đź‘‹

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

hard wired vice wifi

Paul Suarez

The best step currently is to disable all the other network adapters and start Synergy. Once client and server are already connected, you can enable the other network adapters you need. Our developers are doing their best to create an interface for networks that'll be available in future versions.

I don't understand your response.

I have an ethernet connection between my 2 computers.

How do I make sure Synergy is using this connection instead of the wifi?

Paul Suarez

Can you 

2 hours ago, BCS said:

This did not work.

Can you be more specific on what didn't work?

I have two computers a MAC and PC.

They are connected with an ethernet wire. 

The IP is 192.168.0.1.

I have this number typed into my PC synergy client server IP blank.

I have rebooted both computer and applied synergy on my PC and MAC.  I am still unable to use my mouse and keyboard across the synergy using the ethernet.

How do I troubleshoot the setup?

Paul Suarez

What error are you getting when you start Synergy after turning off Wi-Fi on both machines? Can you share screenshots of your Synergy interface on both machines?

Paul Suarez

Both machines shows an invalid or an unknown IP address. This could be caused by a faulty network adapter, faulty DHCP server or simply because of both devices does not have any means of connecting to a network.

Let me just confirm something about this reply from you.

19 hours ago, BCS said:

I have two computers a MAC and PC.

They are connected with an ethernet wire. 

The IP is 192.168.0.1.

I have this number typed into my PC synergy client server IP blank.

I have rebooted both computer and applied synergy on my PC and MAC.  I am still unable to use my mouse and keyboard across the synergy using the ethernet.

How do I troubleshoot the setup?

When you said that they are connected with an Ethernet wire, do you mean that client is connected to a router using an Ethernet wire and that server is connected to that same router using another Ethernet wire?

Paul Suarez

You'll need to get a valid IP address first. You can try this support article from Apple. If it doesn't work you can either contact Apple support or Microsoft support for Windows. This is beyond our support.

Paul Suarez

This is not a problem with Synergy @BCS. If this works in the past, that's because you had a valid IP address on each of the machines. Normally, you ping the other machine's IP address on the other one. How can you ping the other machine if it does not even have an IP address in the first place?

Paul Suarez

networkbasedIP.png.b1f851d9db542cdde8adc3eeedbfedc1.pngSynergy is a Network-based KVM switch (non-video) software. That's why it needs your machines to be networked first before it works.

Paul- I am growing frustrated at the non-mission, non-solution oriented forum Synergy offers.

In non-IT terms please explain what I need to do to get my Synergy to work as it did in the past with these 2 machines across my wire vice WiFi.

Paul Suarez

All you need to do is to have your machines connect to one network and have a valid IP address. It would be best if you connect them to a router.

Paul Suarez

Using direct connection does not give you a network to connect on. It does not provide you a valid IP address.