Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Missing the multi-monitor configuration gui and tray icon

I have been using Synergy for only a short while now - but really enjoying it.  I purchased the license rather than using the free edition out of a sense of gratitude - and that still persists :)

The thing is, the original edition that I installed, had a GUI configuration option that allowed me to easily add multiple monitors in a horizontal layout (more than the single monitor to either edge as the QuickSynergy application provides) - but I can no longer find it.  I also used to have a tray icon that would open that GUI whenever Synergy was running.  Due to a reinstall of several software components (Synergy being on of those) - I no longer see this behavior.  I did download and install from the git repo as well, still no joy.  Is that interface still around and I simply need the flag to accomplish seeing it again?

Also, when running just "synergy" (not synergyc or synergys) are there any flags that can be passed to it?  I am not finding that documentation either, and simply running "synergy" uses invalid values for my needs.

I am running several machines in my typical layout, 1) Windows, 2) Linux Mint, 3) Debian (with Cinnamon), CenOS 7 (with Gnome) and a Raspberry Pi (with Pixel).  NONE of these are showing the tray icon now (since I updated) and only the Windows version still has my beloved GUI available....  help?

I am currently running the 1.8.8 directly from GIT on all but the Windows station (1.8.4).. which I am afraid to update due to losing this GUI.

The 1.8.4 version on windows still has it.

To be clear - after installing both the downloaded deb file OR compiling from scratch using the GIT repo, results in NO GUI at all.. and NO tray icon.  I end up running it from the commandline with synergys and synergyc.  .and then stopping it with 'killall synergys' etc.

Edited by Growlf
Paul Suarez

Can you post a screenshot showing the absence of GUI configuration option? I am running 1.9.0 now and have used 1.8.8 about a week ago and the user interface I have now and I had before shows normal.

Erm.  There is nothing to screen shot, as there is no GUI - at all.  If I run the 'synergy' command by itself, it shows in my process list, but no tray icon or gui shows up.  The only way that I can run the tools is by directly executing 'synergys' and 'synergyc' on the appropriate computers with settings I managed to copy from the Windows box that still has the older version (and thus the config file was generated on it).

This is why I was asking about some flags for the 'synergy' command - like verbose output or logging.. or anything to help debug this?

On 5/22/2017 at 8:32 AM, Andrew Nelless said:

@Growlf

Have you tried installing our official Linux packages from:

Let me know if that works for you

It DID work for me!  But not the first time. The tray icon did not show immediately, so I reset my system tray to defaults and then before I installed the 1.9.0 binary, I completely purged the app first - this time the fresh install seemed to work fine.  I think I must have done something wrong when I tried to compile the application and install it manually.  The instructions and process were a bit problematic at points and I must have resolved it incorrectly.

Thank you!