Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Multiple monitor setup

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I have found a workaround for those of us with certain monitor layouts, like my 3x server and 1x client centered above. By saving and editing a server configuration file, I was able force the corner size to the width of my outer monitors, making synergy ignore them completely. Here are steps to do this, all on the server:

1. Select File > "Save configuration as..." and save the file somewhere. Easiest to use .sgc extension though it doesn't force you.
  2. Open the file in a text editor, and find this line:
    switchCornerSize = 0

3. Change to desired width on one side. I have 3x 1920x1080, so I used corner size 1920.

4. Change the server to "Use existing configuration" and point to the file and apply it.

You'll of course have to redo this anytime you want to change your settings interactively since it's validated anytime you open/accept the configure screen, but hopefully will hold you over until v3.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hello, i have 6 monitors and have a question on setup...

PC (host/server for synergy), this has 4 monitors

Macbook this has 2 monitors (macbook monitor + external monitor)

the macbook is above the far left monitor for my pc.

yellow circle is PC (synergy server)

Blue circle in picture is Mac

what should my dead corner check boxes be and the corner size?

and should the mac be above the pc in the screens and links box?

thanks 

IMG_1154.jpg

• 1 month later...

I would really like to see a feature implemented that would recognize the Synergy server/host monitors as separate screens for the layout. I understand Synergy is a very inexpensive tool, but this feature should at least be included in the "Pro" version (which I've purchased). Seems like a very crucial feature to include when so many of us have multiple screens now... What would it take?

• 2 months later...

I have the exact same problem. Now I have to travel to the right most monitor and move my mouse to bottom dead corner to switch screen. I think this issue deserves a priority and Synergy 1 Pro users would definitely want this ASAP since 3 is planned to be released in 2023. 

Correct me if I'm wrong. 

• 3 weeks later...

Multiple monitors need a space in synergy server setup. For example a pc with say 2 screens, then a laptop as a third screen. You want to setup the synergy server in the screens and links tab, you have pc1 as one box, leave one blank box, then laptop as third box.

Edited by harvey_uk
  • 4 weeks later...

I´m not able to config my setup as desired, altough synergy is a great tool.

My 4 Display Setup: (3 Displays at Desktop, 1 at Client Notebook)

Server 3  -  Client

Server 1  -  Server 2

Setting in Synergy

---           Client

Server        ------

->I can not reach the client.

When I set in Synergy

Client   -----

Server ----

I can reach the client while going over the top of Server3

First I tought that I did not fully understand the instructions, but thanks to this thread, I learned that I´m not alone ?

Please add config for Multi-Monitor Setup in Synergy1, as 2023 is way long in the future....

Edited by Tomauzi
  • 2 months later...

@mehdi

Your arrangement can be roughly represented as:

MMM   MMM

WWW   WWW   WWW

- ignoring the top right Windows screen for simplicity.

Synergy effectively treats the three Windows screens as a single monitor, and the two Mac screens as another single monitor. So, the left-most Windows screen is effectively one-third of the "total" Windows monitor; when the cursor leaves this screen to the top, you want it to enter the right-most half of the "total" Mac monitor, and vice versa when moving down from the right-hand Mac screen to Windows. 

I think you should be able to achieve this in the links portion of the config file, like so:

section: links
	WWW_monitor:
		up(0,33) = MMM_monitor(50, 100)
	MMM_monitor:
		down(50,100) = WWW_monitor(0,33)

As noted in this thread, Synergy does not cope with L-shaped arrangements of multiple screens belonging to either the server or the client (as far as I am aware) - so you might need to adjust the figures in the above example to allow for the fourth WWW monitor I ignored in my diagram.

Like others have noted, it would be good to get some official input from Symless. This is a long-standing issue, and now appears destined to remain so until (at least...) 2023.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, dubdub said:

@mehdi

Your arrangement can be roughly represented as:

MMM   MMM

WWW   WWW   WWW

- ignoring the top right Windows screen for simplicity.

Synergy effectively treats the three Windows screens as a single monitor, and the two Mac screens as another single monitor. So, the left-most Windows screen is effectively one-third of the "total" Windows monitor; when the cursor leaves this screen to the top, you want it to enter the right-most half of the "total" Mac monitor, and vice versa when moving down from the right-hand Mac screen to Windows. 

I think you should be able to achieve this in the links portion of the config file, like so:

WWW_monitor:
		up(0,33) = MMM_monitor(50, 100)
	MMM_monitor:
		down(50,100) = WWW_monitor(0,33)

As noted in this thread, Synergy does not cope with L-shaped arrangements of multiple screens belonging to either the server or the client (as far as I am aware) - so you might need to adjust the figures in the above example to allow for the fourth WWW monitor I ignored in my diagram.

Like others have noted, it would be good to get some official input from Symless. This is a long-standing issue, and now appears destined to remain so until (at least...) 2023.

thank you!  silly and very basic question...where do i enter the above configs w links?  right now in my server configuration tab  i have Mac (monitor icon) and Windows (monitor icon) in the side by side boxes in the middle row in the screens and links tab.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Deanna Hood

DisplayFusion is the best multi monitor setup but there are some similar programs, DisplayFusion alternatives will act the hero on the off chance that you think that its hard to work your multi-screen arrangement. Regardless of whether it is tied in with moving windows between screens, taking the cursor to the next screen absent a lot of problem or getting taskbars on every one of the screens, these product here will help you do every one of these activities easily. The program being referred to has various benefits to it, for example, backdrop the executives, multi-screen taskbars, pre-arranged capacities and the alternative to design show settings and saving them as Monitor Profiles for moment initiation. For more data in regards to comparative utilities, you can look at the substitutes i have here.

Foxgguy2001

Hoping to find a little bit of help here too.  I think I may have an issue with my configuration file that's preventing me from linking monitors correctly.

Hoping someone wouldn't mind having a look and pointing me in the right direction!

Here is my config.  As I understand it the links section is a percentage, correct?  This doesn't seem to work though.  Thanks for having a look!

section: screens
	3XD-Odin:
		halfDuplexCapsLock = false
		halfDuplexNumLock = false
		halfDuplexScrollLock = false
		xtestIsXineramaUnaware = false
		switchCorners = none 
		switchCornerSize = 0
	JOSHS-PC:
		halfDuplexCapsLock = false
		halfDuplexNumLock = false
		halfDuplexScrollLock = false
		xtestIsXineramaUnaware = false
		switchCorners = none 
		switchCornerSize = 0
end

section: aliases
end

3XD-Odin:
		down(0,100) = JOSHS-PC(40,70)
	JOSHS-PC:
		up(40,70) = 3XD-Odin(0,100)
end

section: options
	relativeMouseMoves = false
	screenSaverSync = true
	win32KeepForeground = false
	disableLockToScreen = false
	clipboardSharing = true
	clipboardSharingSize = 3072
	switchCorners = none 
	switchCornerSize = 0
end

2021-08-10_11-51-11.png

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

I'm having this same problem configuring a layout with a portrait monitor to the left of a landscape one.  Synergy is grabbing the top of the portrait monitor to enter the client configured above it, however the real-world orientation is the client monitor above the landscape one.

I've tried a few of the solutions here without success.  I'm going to resort to the hotkey setup suggested.

The ludicrous part of this is that it used to work just fine until I shuffled monitor cables around moving my desk.  I've played with the monitor cables along with system and Synergy configurations trying to get back to where things worked but can't seem to get it.

• Like 1