Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

SSL certificate doesn't exist

I was having this problem on a new installation of Synergy, version 1.11.0-stable-b2173efb

Toggling SSL off and back on did not make a cert generate.

I have Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) and so I was able to follow planetehack's above instructions in the installed copy of debian.

Now it works perfectly!

3 hours ago, Sam Aaron said:

Hi there, I'm seeing the issue with an absent SSL cert too. I'm running the 1.11.0 server on Windows 10. I upgraded from Basic to Pro. I tried disabling and re-enabling SSL to no avail. I also tried uninstalling and re-installing Synergy - again to no avail.

Is there any way to force Synergy to generate a cert?

You can generate one manually outside of Synergy (but takes some tinkering). It might be worth testing to install an older version and see if that generates a cert, and then upgrade to the latest version.
Also please consider contacting Synergy support, they are apparently not monitoring the forum for bugs, but are relying on tickets/support emails.

JohnLBevan

Note: Regarding the fix suggested by PlanetHack, a new bug in Git Bash may cause the initial slash in the subject to be expanded to the Git Bash exe's path. 

writing new private key to 'synergy.key'
-----
name is expected to be in the format /type0=value0/type1=value1/type2=... where characters may be escaped by \. This name is not in that format: 'C:/Program Files/Git/...

To avoid that, use two slashes for the certificate's subject.

See https://stackoverflow.com/a/54924640/361842 for more.

cd '/c/Users/myUsername/AppSettings/Local/Synergy/SSL'
openssl req -nodes -new -x509 -keyout synergy.key -out synergy.cert -days 3650 -sha256 -subj "//CN=myComputerName"
cat synergy.key synergy.cert > synergy.pem
rm -f synergy.key synergy.cert

Thanks @PlanetHack for the fix!

Hi there,

I managed to resolve the issues manually by generating the SSL certs using a WSL shell. Great to see that you're working on fixing the issue though :-)

Had the same problem, Windows 10 Pro on both server and client

Disabling/Re-enabling TLS did not help

Used GitBash in Windows following @planetehack's instructions and problem was fixed immediately.

@planetehack++

Edited by wesruv
Accidental submit

The snapshot version did work for me as well, insofar as it generated a .pem file.

However, my Windows server (where I installed the snapshot) and my Mac client don't seem to agree on the fingerprint of the server. Eyeballing, the fingerprint shown on my client is nothing like the one shown on the server.

Upgrading the client to the snapshot as well does show the expected fingerprint, though.

edit: one other oddity: client shows "Synergy is connected (with TLSv1.2)", while the server shows "Synergy is connected (with TLSv1.3)" in the status bar. Logs on both ends show they only negotiated TLSv1.2.

Edited by Pioto
one more observation i missed

Hello Guys.

Thank you all for your answers.

If someone still has an issue, can you please use the link in my signature and create a ticket for us? So, we will check closer with the dev team.

• 4 weeks later...

I fixed this issue by using teamviewer, but this could be solved by using any regular flash drive.

My Windows 10 version was upgraded to pro, but did not create the Synergy.pem file. I copied the synergy.pem file off of my macbook and placed it onto my Windows pc in the directory that it said it was missing. It didn't work at first, but I turned TLS off and turned it back on, and now I'm connecting just fine using TLSv1.2.

I also opened the synergy.pem file with notepad.

Mr. Anderson

Hi,

I Removed synergy_1.10.3.stable from my client and server following the "Reinstall from Fresh" guide and installed: synergy_v1.11.0-stable and was unable to connect.

I read Jamie's post, downloaded the snapshot and installed it over my server install and now I could connect.  Then just to be consistent I installed it over my client.

Thank you

Jamie's Post:

There is a development build available that has a fix for this issue in it, could you please give it a go

Synergy v1.11.1-snapshot

Thanks

Jamie

Jamie Newbon

On 15/03/2020 at 8:56 AM, Mr. Anderson said:

Hi,

I Removed synergy_1.10.3.stable from my client and server following the "Reinstall from Fresh" guide and installed: synergy_v1.11.0-stable and was unable to connect.

I read Jamie's post, downloaded the snapshot and installed it over my server install and now I could connect.  Then just to be consistent I installed it over my client.

Thank you

Jamie's Post:

There is a development build available that has a fix for this issue in it, could you please give it a go

Synergy v1.11.1-snapshot

Thanks

Jamie

Jamie Newbon

Thanks it fix the issue for me !