Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Modifier keys (Shift/Ctrl/Alt/Win) not working in Parallels

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mohammad Minaie

• Ben R

• Kenneth Persinger

• Lohmeyer

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is the response I received from Parallels support, which solved the issue for me in Parallels 14 (I ran the commands while the VM was shut down, but I don't know whether it makes a difference):

I've been meaning to post a reply here for a couple days now.  I don't know what they do different, but Remotix v6 (not v5) on the Mac works flawlessly w/rt the keyboard. For the first time

I don't have parallel but use MS Remote Desktop. Just tried the following and not change: defaults write com.microsoft.rdc.macos 'HID Host Hook.Allowed Sources' "synergy" defaults write com.micros

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...

Still not working in version 1.10.1.

I have  Mojave (Server) (with also a Parallels 14 running, everything all right) ---> High Sierra (Client) with Parallels 14 + Windows 10.

Adding Client Parallels to Accessibility does not help. 

Adding "devices.kbd.end_delay=10" to boot flags does not help (https://kb.parallels.com/de/123602).

Anybody with new insights?? Many Thanks...

• 1 month later...
Mohammad Minaie

Hey, just wanted to report that I see the same thing. I would recommend also testing Visual Studio since it has some interactions that have been extremely frustrating when using through synergy into parallels. 

Also, all the links from page 1 don't work. 

Edited by Mohammad Minaie

I think its pretty clear at this point Symless is not going to fix this or they can't fix it (which maybe the case since it seems to not work under other keyboard sharing tools as well). This has been an issue for years now time to abandon all hope.

Mohammad Minaie

My Keyboard allows me to remap keys. I was going to use this and disable Synergy key mapping. I haven't found a way to do that though. Anyone know how to Disable Synergy KeyMapping?

Mohammad Minaie

@Daniel Alarcon that's right. My keyboard has the ability to remap keys to Mac or Windows style. However I can't take advantage of these when using Synergy since it does a remap already. If I could turn off Synergy Key Remap i could use my windows and my mac like they were both Mac's, as far as keys are concerned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Kenneth Persinger

Ive actually done some debug to reproduce the issue.

What it comes down to, is how synergy + Mac + Remote Desktop Client/Parallels interact.

When running a keylogger on my Mac, and on my remote desktop, i see the following:

Pressing 'Shift + 2' ( the '@' symbol):

The Mac sees see the expected 'shift down' + '2' + 'shift up' sequence of keyboard events.

The remote desktop client sees: 'shift down' + 'shift up' + '2' sequence of events,

2 hours ago, Alexey Pilyaev said:

Hello Guys.

The issue looks really strange to me. Can each of you please place a ticket for us here https://symless.com/contact/customer-support?help-option=Troubleshooting+(Synergy+1)

So, we can work with the team on it and pass all the needed information to developers.

I believe last year I did open a ticket on this and referenced the very detailed information about the issue which I posted in the 6th, 7th, and 8th posts of this discussion.  Please refer to those posts, as well as many other explanations on the issue in this discussion.  

The issue was added to the "short list" of issues to solve in Synergy back then by your team, and many others have opened tickets on this issue over the years.  

The issue is completely repeatable.  You just need Parallels on a Mac to see it.  The issue is nothing new and I have seen variations of this issue for years as explained in my previous posts.  I have not tested the issue recently with newer versions of Synergy 1, but based on comments here, and because I have not seen any announcement to solve the issue, I assume it still exists in the latest version of Synergy 1.  The issue still existed in the last version of Synergy 2 that was released.  

I am currently not using Synergy 1 (I still have Synergy 2 installed, but don't use it either anymore - due to this issue), but if there is any question about my posts on the issue, please don't hesitate to ask.  

1 minute ago, Lohmeyer said:

I believe last year I did open a ticket on this and referenced the very detailed information about the issue which I posted in the 6th, 7th, and 8th posts of this discussion.  Please refer to those posts, as well as many other explanations on the issue in this discussion.  

The issue was added to the "short list" of issues to solve in Synergy back then by your team, and many others have opened tickets on this issue over the years.  

The issue is completely repeatable.  You just need Parallels on a Mac to see it.  The issue is nothing new and I have seen variations of this issue for years as explained in my previous posts.  I have not tested the issue recently with newer versions of Synergy 1, but based on comments here, and because I have not seen any announcement to solve the issue, I assume it still exists in the latest version of Synergy 1.  The issue still existed in the last version of Synergy 2 that was released.  

I am currently not using Synergy 1 (I still have Synergy 2 installed, but don't use it either anymore - due to this issue), but if there is any question about my posts on the issue, please don't hesitate to ask.  

I'm using Synergy 1

I've seen this issue myself for 1-2 years of Synergy, v1 and v2. Windows 10 host, Sierra or High Sierra guest. The behavior I see depends on the Mac RDP client. I submitted a ticket to Synergy support; just putting this here FYI everyone else. I am curious whether others have any partial success with different RDP clients.

MS Remote Desktop v8 or v10: No modifier keys work on the remote desktop.

Parallels Client v16.5.0 RDP: SHIFT works in the remote desktop, but not CTRL or others.

Royal's RDP client: SHIFT, CTRL and others seem to work consistently on the remote desktop!

https://www.royalapplications.com/ts/win/features

Edited by zbrook
  • 2 months later...
Mohammad Minaie
On 8/23/2018 at 12:56 PM, krebs said:

This was not working for me until I found a solution.  

My current setup is Windows Desktop (server)  -> Mac Book (Client)  running parallels VM with windows 10.  

On my mac, open parallels preferances -> macOs System Shortcuts -> Send macOs system shortcuts 'Always'

i went in to Security and Privacy and enabled Accessibility for Parallels Desktop and it worked

Hope this helps someone

this did not work for me, as you can see from my lack of capital letters the shift does not work properly when i'm using parallels on the mac from a windows server.

I contact support and worked with them but they were unable to find a resolution. Here is there response

Alexey (Symless)

Dec 19, 10:04 EST

Hi Ben,

We are aware of the problem and plan to fix it. The info from this ticket has been added to our internal issue tracker system which will help us fix the problem. I'd like to give you an estimate on how long until it’s fixed, but I don’t want to over promise. I do appreciate how frustrating the problem is though.

Please let me know if there anything we can do for you in the meantime, and please do let me know if you'd like a full refund since we can't fix the issue. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks,
Alexey

This issue was discovered long time, over a year and has not been fix.

Someone mention about sharemouse, it has the exact same issue. The only advantage of sharemouse now is the mouse scroll works on client.

Kenneth Persinger

I am not suggesting that this is a fix, but noting it for completeness sake:

My wife uses synergy as well, and in her case we bought the logitech K780 multi device keyboard.

she just switches which device it points to when she needs to use remote desktop.

This doesn't work for my setup, but maybe it will for someone else on here.

I'll chime in as well. 

MacOS 10.14.3 and Synergy 2.0.12-beta on both client and server

Parallels 14 w/ Windows 10 Home on client

Microsoft Remote Desktop 10 on both client and server

meta keys do not work going either direction (keyboard on server into Parallels or RD on client or keyboard on client going to RD on server).

I tried the "accessibility" settings suggested here to no avail.