Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Ver 1.9.0-rc3 service appears to hang

Chris Hale

just downloaded 1.9.0.rc3 to see if the lagging was any less on it, and it is, but only because the host won't start.

Windows 7 host machine.  Clients are a windows 10, and an osx.  But don't thing anything is wrong with the clients.  All appears to be issues on the host.  Was working fine on 1.8.8 (short of the lagging which got really bad today).  Have done a full uninstall of synergy, and bonjour.  Manual install of bonjour from the symless site.  Full configuration wipe by removing the registry keys.

The host sees the other two computers trying to connect as it saw then in the configure server.  But when trying to apply configuration.  Just get "Synergy is starting".  No checkmark on the tray icon.  Remote clients get a connection refused.  And the service appears to hang, as it won't stop without having to taskkill it's PID.

Tried turning on logging, but no file is created.  Even gave it an empty file to write to, but still nothing logged.

Anything else you want me to provide?

Chris Hale

Yes, the service is installed.  The local client complains if it's not started.  But once started.  It doesn't automatically allow connections, and the local gui shows Synergy as starting.

If I try to stop it via the service manager, it does the slow progress bar to the application has not responded.  That is where I've had to use taskkill to get to actually stop.

Paul Suarez
4 minutes ago, Chris Hale said:

Yes, the service is installed.  The local client complains if it's not started.  But once started.  It doesn't automatically allow connections, and the local gui shows Synergy as starting.

If I try to stop it via the service manager, it does the slow progress bar to the application has not responded.  That is where I've had to use taskkill to get to actually stop.

It won't really allow connections automatically. That's the use of the Start and or the Apply button, unless the machines just rebooted while it was connected before. Please post a screenshot of both machine's Synergy interface and the Server Configuration interface on your server machine. 

Also, please provide more details about your machines (OS, 32/64 bit, Synergy version installed, connected to the network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, specify which one is the server).

Chris Hale

Windows 7 64 bit.  I don't expect it to allow connections till start is hit.  But that is what I've done.  Nothing is getting written to the log file... and the log in the configuration is not much help other than it says it's starting the server, but it never gets started... no checkmark on the tray icon to show that it actually started.  And when a service won't actually stop normally that is a sign of a process being hung.

BeforeStart.png

AfterStart.png

NoCheckmarkShowingItsStarted.png

AfterStopNothingloggedandNotrunningstatus.png

CantStopService.png

OS.png

Paul Suarez

Please post an image file directly. File types that can be viewed here without needing to download it.

Paul Suarez

Your Mac machine does not even have an IP address. That means it's not connected to either Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

Chris Hale

It's a laptop and it's been moved around since the last time synergy was started.

I just restarted it.  It now shows the local IP in the top, and the ever scrolling connection refused in the log window.

Chris Hale

And yes I can ping between the two machines.  The configuration of the two laptops has not changed.  And the host configuration hadn't changed when first updated, which it exhibited the same behavior as now.  I only wiped the config, because there have been issues with the configuration in the past, and it was easy thing to set back up.

Note also a netstat -a on the host computer, show that the synergy service has not opened port 24800 for listening as setup in the settings.  Hence why both laptops are getting connection refused, as I've been trying to say... the host synergy service appears to hang.

Paul Suarez

Please post a current screenshot of both machine's Synergy interface. Even if it's moved around as long as they are on the same network when you have taken a screenshot first, they should have the same IP address since the lease time of IP addresses on most DHCP servers last long.

Chris Hale

Truthfully... I feel like I'm being treated like I've left the cable off the cable box.  I've been doing windows IT and programming for 20+ years.  Trust me... your synergy service is running on the host computer (the one the laptops are trying to connect to and get keyboard and mouse from) but the service is not opening a port for them to connect to.  At this point, it's mute... but they are on the same network, I can ping between the two.  But it doesn't matter if the "host"/"server" software is not working.  And I would get you a screenshot from the mac but I'm so annoyed right now, that I don't want to mess with grabbing a tiff, converting to png, and emailing it around (since synergy is not working) to add it to this post, that here is the settings panel showing the service should open 24800, and the netstat (plus ipconfig and ping to the osx laptop) from windows showing nothing has opened 24800 for listening.

Settings.png

netstat.png

Chris Hale

okay... got the forum software to let it upload if I changed the filename.  But still... really.... if the synergy service was okay... would it stick at starting in the gui, and not show it opening the port to let the clients connect?

Edited by Chris Hale
Chris Hale

Note the settings screenshot was taken before trying to start the service.  I did and still have the service stuck in a starting state, and this is the netstat from that state

listeningports.png.410ec2c6d93e871e26b9ad1a5d18ef66.png

Chris Hale

I did strip the license key out of the host log.  But it had a valid one in there.  And exit error code 9 on the osx is just me stopping the attempts to make it easier to copy.

Additional things I've checked since yesterday.  Nothing in the windows event logs showing issues.  And checked McAfee that corporate puts on the boxes, and it's not saying it blocked anything.

LogFromHost.txt

osxLog.txt

Chris Hale

@Paul Suarez any further steps on this?  Kept 1.9 installed in case there were things to test, but if there is nothing else, I'll downgrade back to 1.8 so I can have this product back to working.

• 4 weeks later...
Paul Suarez

Unfortunately, Synergy 2.0 Beta Feedback is for Beta users only. I tried checking the logs you sent from your Mac and it shows that the IP address is 10.0.1.24. Which shows that it could be using the same IP address as what you have on your Windows machine.