Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

"You do not have permission to open the application Synergy. Contact your computer or network administrator for assistance"

Hello!

I'm trying to reinstall Synergy on my iMac (2008 El Capitan 10.11.6) which I use as a client - the server is my Macbook.

I am trying the reinstallation after deleting the old Mac Admin account from which I used to run Synergy (and completely removed the old 'Home' folder from the computer). I have now created a new Admin account, but when I drag the Synergy installation icon into the Applications folder it is only creating a grey icon with a prohibitory sign within the folder.

When I double click it, I get the following message: "You do not have permission to open the application Synergy. Contact your computer or network administrator for assistance". Given that I am the administrator, and the other account does not even exist any more I'm a bit at a loss. I would really appreciate any suggestions as the use of your app is crucial for my work!

Thank you in advance,
Ioanna

Ok, problem solved! After much fiddling around the Admin account and file permissions, and several attempts at reinstallation, something eventually clicked together and I was prompted to enter my Admin password so that the installation could be successfully completed. Just letting anyone else who might ever have the same problem know that there's a solution - I just don't know what exactly!

Paul Suarez
2 hours ago, Ioanna said:

Ok, problem solved! After much fiddling around the Admin account and file permissions, and several attempts at reinstallation, something eventually clicked together and I was prompted to enter my Admin password so that the installation could be successfully completed. Just letting anyone else who might ever have the same problem know that there's a solution - I just don't know what exactly!

Thanks for sharing this @Ioanna. :)