Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Repeating key strokes on U16.04

Hi, I'm using Synergy 1.8.8. Master is MacOS 10.12.5, clients are Ubuntu 16.04LTS and WIndows 10. The Windows client works fine. The Ubuntu client often repeats keystrokes unintentionally. 

Again, I'm using my MacOS keyboard. For example, if I type "hello world", it might show up as "heeelllooo wooorrllld" on the U16.04 client. Is there a setting I've overlooked or a workaround for this? It's very annoying!

Paul Suarez

Can you try making the Windows 10 machine as the server and see if the Ubuntu machine still does the same thing?

On 6/5/2017 at 1:37 PM, Paul Suarez said:

Can you try making the Windows 10 machine as the server and see if the Ubuntu machine still does the same thing?

Yes.  

WINDOWS 10 SERVER:

the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
the quick brown fox Jumps Over the Lazy Dog.
The quick brown Fox jumps over the lazy Dog.
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy Dog.

MAC OSX SERVER:

The Quick Brown Fox Jumps over the Laazy Dog.
The Quick Brown fox jumps over the lazy doggg.
The QUick   brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
the quiccck brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
the quick brown fax jump sooover th

note that the upper-case variations are random; i was trying to see if that made the problem worse, but it doesn't seem to be related. Client is of course U16.04. All running 1.8.8

V1.9 seems to work better, buttt (as you can see) the problem hasn't gone away completely. 
Does this problem go away on wired Ethernet connections?

• 8 months later...

I'm seeing the same thing here when my keyboard is attached to my mac acting as host and my debian machine is guest/client/whatever. I do not get the repeating keys on windows while mac is host, but do on linux while mac is host. I don't get the repeating keys on linux when windows is the host either. Using synergy 2.0.5 stable here.

• 3 months later...

Still happening. I'm on version 2.0.12-beta. I realize it's a beta, but if it's been happening since version 1.9 it seems that it's an unaddressed issue. 

• 10 months later...
Mr Timeseries

I've seen this with 1.10.1 and so far it was caused by synergy running more than once on either the client or the server.

• 3 weeks later...

This is happening to me - Version 1.10.1, server is Windows 10, client is Ubuntu 18.04LTS.  Only one copy running on both server and client. Very annoying. 

nickallevatro

I also have/had this problem with Ubuntu 18 with Gnome or KDE. 

With XFCE it's much better if not fixed.

I suspect the Ubuntu OS yearly release cycle has caught up with Synergy.

I switched back to Windows because a Linux host was just way to inconsistent when using any of the remote machines.

Then it was the same with the Windows host.

• 2 months later...

I had this on Ubuntu 18 with XFCE as well, both client and server. I'm on wired connection, but when reading through this thread I came to think about the fact that I'm also on wireless... When disconnecting the wireless, the problem seemed to have gone away. At the very least it's way better, was getting very annoyed.

Running Windows 10 Home as server and Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS as client. Get the same results with both versions of Synergy. Initially this was never an issue for me until a good 6 months ago, or thereabouts after using the product for a few months without any problems. The issue varies, primarily affecting keystrokes and occasionally the cursor freezes - keystrokes are by far the worse, rendering usage impossible. Sometimes if I restart Synergy the effect is less. So far I have tried:

• I have reinstalled both Synergy 1 and 2, following the guides to ensure both OSs are clean etc.
  • I have disabled WiFi on my Ubuntu system (and actually on my Windows PC as well) and I am not able to identify any other nics etc.
  • I've reduced the number of services/apps etc. running on Windows esp. network related
  • I'm not able to identify anything in Windows' logs, or at least that I am capable of identifying
  • There are no obvious setups i.e. running things in a specific sequence, at the same time etc. that appear to have an effect

It was really bad today and I decided to run some performance monitoring (nothing complicated) and by chance I did spot a relationship between certain activities - effectively: if the mouse is moving on the client system, the keystrokes work without issue. When the mouse is not moving - the keystroke issue occurs (this was performed under strict scientific conditions with a separate mouse operator ;) )

When the mouse is active, synergys.exe's send/receive B/sec is, relative to when it is not, high whereas keyboard strokes on the client do not seem to generate - again relative - as much activity. Of course, this makes complete sense, assuming mouse activity generates larger amounts of data than keystrokes - so, why do keystrokes work absolutely fine when the mouse is active? Haven't a clue and hoping that maybe this may shed some light on the issue, even if it's affecting a seemingly small number of users.

I did do a bit of log-digging in Synergy as well: Debug1 (key events amongst other things) appeared to indicate that events were being recorded correctly from Synergy's server perspective, so say an 's' key was typed, there was a corresponding down and up key event and it wasn't repeated in the server log, even if the keystroke was repeated incorrectly on the client.

I tried on the client, but didn't get anything conclusive to indicate either way - the logs depending on which level you're using are quite verbose and reading them live is next to impossible for me - could maybe take some time to write to file and have a look sometime in the future.

Speaking of verbose - this post is way too long. Will report more if I get the oppportttuuuuunittttty :P

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

This problem was three years old when this thread was started in 2017. It's now September of 2020 and still not fixed six years on. This is the kind of problem that shouldn't last six hours. It's core. It's fundamental. I didn't go looking for a product to "sort of" share my keyboard and mouse between machines. Synergy is basically unusable for anything at all serious because anything less than 100.0% input fidelity is 100.0% unacceptable. 

• 1 year later...

I'm having the exact same repeating keystroke issues with the most current version of Synergy (1.14.1) on macOS Big Sur. The only way I can resolve this issue is by rebooting the computer which runs Synergy as a server. However I often run long video renders on that computer, which means I must force reboot that machine to log in, which then interrupts my render. I just love this software otherwise, so I'm hoping we can get a resolution to this finally!

-Brian

• 4 months later...

Having the same problem with Windows 10/Kali 5.15.0. I'm still within my 30 day trial and if this isn't fixed, I honestly don't see a point in using the software as it will most likely lead to a smashed keyboard.