Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Using control ctrl key to switch screens

Jonathan Rees
In version 1.3.8 it was possible to select an option to use the ctrl key to enable switching accross the "boundary" to the next screen. This was very fast and convenient and prevented unwanted switching which occurs with the pause or double-shove methods. I've just bought a licence and installed v1.7.2 but I can't find this feature on the current version. Has it been removed or am I missing something? If it's gone, please, please bring it back! Thanks, Jonathan
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Yuya Fujiwara
This feature can be restored by modification of the configuration file. Following is an example of configuration file (you can generate this file by "save configuration as ..." in menu). Two displays, "display 1" and "display 2" are aligned horizontally. [code] section: screens display1: display2: end section:links display1: right=display2 left=display2 display2: right=display1 left=display1 end section: options keystroke(control+l) = switchInDirection(right) end [/code] "keystroke .... " statement enables to switch displays by ctrl+l key. "switchInDirection" command. You can find various options in http://synergy-project.org/wiki/Text_Config#Actions or https://github.com/synergy/synergy/wiki/Text-Config ** Don't forget to load the configuration file!!
  • 2 years later...

3 years later...

I'm finding I really need this ability and can't seem to find how to do it. The suggested links above don't seem to go anywhere these days and that was for quite a few versions ago.

Currently running v1.9.1 (v2 didn't work for me). 

Like the OP, I'm getting lots of unintentional switching as I habitually swing my mouse out of the way to start typing - sometimes I'll be typing at the other system because I haven't actually looked at the screens as I type. It's now happening so many times for me that I'm getting fed up - I really need a way to only switch when I require.

It's not as simple as me not swinging my mouse out the way towards the edges of my triple monitor main server setup (Win), it's a habit of a lifetime and I can't change, I've tried.  

Holding a qualifier key or pausing at the edge for a second or two would help (Sharemouse did this years ago when I used to use that). Short of stopping Synergy, can anything be done to stop the mouse switching systems as I knock my mouse out the way?

As an extra note - I've tried the "Switch after waiting" setting (in Advanced server settings), but this doesn't work for me. After whatever the prescribed time is set to, once the mouse is at rest on the screen edge bordering another system, it waits for the time (in milliseconds), then just moves across anyway instead of just stopping were it is.

I do not know what the "Switch on double tap within" setting does? - If it's supposed to switch by double tapping on the desktop, then that is not working for me as I already have an action to open my file manager for that. Or does "double-tap" mean something else?

Is it possible to only allow switching via CTRL or a hot key?