Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Installation on Linux Ubuntu 64 bit (16.04. LTS)

Hi,

maybe I'm complete blind, but I didn't found a Linux Tutorial for installing Synergy. Running hm.sh via command line throws an error. ./hm.sh config -g 1 uses cmake but I've got another error. The CMake.log is attached.

I am a little bit disappointed, that there is no real tutorial for Linux. It take me some time to figure out how this have to work. Honestly I doubt that there are lots of people which can not install something from an exe file (but that's off topic). Maybe there is something and you can show me. For a product I pay I would assume a good documentation.

Cheers 

Sandro

PS For the sake of not wasting time: Yes my computer is plugged in. I have Ethernet connection. Even mouse and keyboard are plugged in ;P

CMakeOutput.log

Edited by Sandro

I tried somehow like this. But I have to apologyze for complaining about no Doc while not finding. So: sorry.

I ran now:

QT_SELECT=4 ./hm.sh conf -g1 (except for QT select I did the same before)

Still I get this error:
-- Looking for XRRQueryExtension in Xrandr - found
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/sandro/Downloads/synergy-v1.8.8-stable-c30301e-Source/build/release
Going back to: /home/sandro/Downloads/synergy-v1.8.8-stable-c30301e-Source
Error: Could not get revision, git error: 128

I thought I still can try a build command:

I ran:

sudo ./hm.sh build

Got this error:

Make GUI command: make -w
Entering dir: src/gui
make: Entering directory '/home/sandro/Downloads/synergy-v1.8.8-stable-c30301e-Source/src/gui'
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
make: Leaving directory '/home/sandro/Downloads/synergy-v1.8.8-stable-c30301e-Source/src/gui'
Error: make -w failed with error: 512

I don't know if this is related, but is Python required already for this step?

Cheers

Sandro

I figured it out by myself how to run. The file I received from thew synergy (tar.gz) is not the same like this one I pulled with git. I thought it is valid to assume that they will be up to date both. 

Still another Problem appeared. Out of the box looks different... 

I wanted to run the software yesterday, but here I am today... 

The client and server can not connect to each other. The server connection is refused (Both are Ubuntu LTS machines).

I tried to configure interactively and hit Ok for generating a config file. I tried auto config, I tried no auto config, I tired fill the host name in the client. Otherwise even with auto config it says, that there is a host name missing. 

My Machine names have no dashes. Pure letters. One is connection via wireless the other ethernet. I can establish ssh connections on both sides. So I assume there are no connectivity problems on my computers natively.

And I even tried to change the ports. I enabled and disabled SSL on both machines.  Any ideas?

I really hope that synergy boost my productivity insanely. I invested still more time in it than I planned...

I figured that one out again. For some reason I had no configuration file generated. I hat to do it by myself...

Is there a way where I can do this interactively? It didn't worked out so far... 

Guest Andrew Nelless

@Sandro is there any particular reason you want to compile Synergy yourself? The recommended Synergy version right now is v1.9-rc3 available from the thread linked below. There is a native build for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS there

However, if you want to build Synergy yourself I recommend you checkout the v1.9 branch from GitHub as it is a lot easier to build with CMake directly. Compile instructions will be updated once v1.9 is moved in to master.

Hi Andrew,

no there is no reason for me compiling synergy. Actually I assumed to have a precompiled package for Ubuntu LTS =)
But in my account page I got a tar with the source folder where I have to compile it. This didn't worked out. Then I got the information to pull via git.

So if everything will work out with the  deb you saved my day!

Thank you!

Ok the installation process is still much easier. But I have to use my own written conf file. 

The interactive configuration do not show me my client PC. If I delete the existing conf the client will be refused. 

All in all eveything works, but I think it is more nice if i could use the interactive configuration. Do I miss some steps? In the Youtube tutorial it was much easier to connect both PC's (Windows and Mac), without doing some extra stuff...

Cheers

Sandro