Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Connecting 2 computers on different networks

Kelly Vardiman

Hi,

My server computer is attached to the company internet via hardline. One of the client computers is attached to the internet via a separate wi-fi. It also runs a program with some firewalls. I can't get them to connect. The server computer says,"waiting for client" and the client computer says, "failed to connect to server: Timed out." Suggestions? The client computer is not allowed to be connected to the company network for confidentiality reasons, which is why it has its own wi-fi.

Thank you,
JDDoesIT

I have a few questions:

1. What are the results of a trace from the client to server
  2. What are the results of a trace from the server to client?
  3. Do you have access to change or request a change in the firewall?
  4. Are there any port ranges that you know are open that you can change Synergy to use?

And one suggestion:

Since these sit on different networks you are going to have to employ some sort of NAT mapping, port forwarding/triggering or DMZ (least favorable option) in order to get them to see each other.

Paul Suarez
4 hours ago, JDDoesIT said:

I have a few questions:

4. Are there any port ranges that you know are open that you can change Synergy to use?

And one suggestion:

Since these sit on different networks you are going to have to employ some sort of NAT mapping, port forwarding/triggering or DMZ (least favorable option) in order to get them to see each other.

@JDDoesIT is right.:)

@Kelly Vardiman please answer those questions. 

Mathieu Aubin
10 hours ago, JDDoesIT said:

I have a few questions:

And one suggestion:

That is your most probable problem or best solution.

Neat trick if you can't get the firewalls updated or changed for some odd reason but the machines can communicate via ssh, then you could forward the ports using -R/-L toggles when connecting with ssh. Its as permanent as your ssh connectivity so all in all not bad at all to get out of a jam.

Of course this is all assuming (and easily done) if they run linux or you know how to use whichever tools are available for the machines OS.

Good luck

Kelly Vardiman

Rut roh! I don't know what any of that means! I'll research and see if I can find the answers. Thank you.