Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Initial installation / Instructions?

I attempted replacing my 1.8 installation with the first 2.0 beta.  It installed and I see the GUI on both systems (windows + mac).  Unfortunately, I don't see any instructions on how to enable synergy, make the connection, and start using it.  About the only thing I can do is right-click the boxes representing computers, but nothing happens after that.  Sometimes, a click will change the background of a computer from black to green, but it's random and not reproducible.  I actually got mouse sharing working for a time, but after rebooting lost it and haven't been able to get it working since.  I rolled-back to 1.8.  

Are there any instructions on how to interact with the GUI?  I couldn't find anything on my windows or mac system.  

Looking forward to subsequent releases with additional instructions.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Hey, we designed Synergy 2 to be minimal so that config is super simple. Could you try the latest beta (beta2) and show us a screenshot of what you see?

You can also use the log to troubleshoot...

10 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

Hey, we designed Synergy 2 to be minimal so that config is super simple. Could you try the latest beta (beta2) and show us a screenshot of what you see?

You can also use the log to troubleshoot...

I have the same problem. All I see when i open Synergy 2 (Beta 2) is a green box with my laptops name on which i can move around.

Specs

Dell XPS 15 (9560, 4K display), i7-7700HQ, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 1 TB SSD, Windows 10 Pro (Creators Update)

Synergy2Beta2.png

28 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

I guess it does work. My bad. I'm not used to programs being so simple. :)

I installed Synergy on my Desktop and it automatically connected to my laptop without me doing anything but starting the program up on both machines,

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

@Netrex I'm glad you got it working, but I'm confused. How come you thought Synergy wasn't working?

30 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

@Netrex I'm glad you got it working, but I'm confused. How come you thought Synergy wasn't working?

I know it's a beta 'n all but when i launched the program for the first time and nothing appeared other than what you see in the attachment, I thought that i wouldn't be able to set it up to another computer if I couldn't mess around with some settings whatsoever. Turns out that Synergy automatically connected both machines upon launch.

What got me worried was just that in version 1.8 I couldn't specify which IP the software should use for my computers. This was a problem since I have multiple virtual network cards associated with VMware Workstation. Synergy 1.8 would automatically choose the IP of the virtual network card instead of my wireless lan card..

..so when i launched Synergy 2 and was greeted with no configuration pop-ups I assumed it would just use the IP of the virtual network card instead of my wireless lan like it did in version 1.8 however that was not the case in version 2.0. It seems to pick the correct NIC in version 2.0

Edited by Netrex
  • Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Ah, so perhaps some sort of prompt saying "Ok great, now install Synergy on your other computers." would have saved you some time here?

2 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

Ah, so perhaps some sort of prompt saying "Ok great, now install Synergy on your other computers." would have saved you some time here?

Yeah. Maybe a little introduction prompt.

What confused me the most was not knowing the simplicity you are aiming for in version 2.0. Coming from 1.8 where I had to open multiple windows to configure my settings to version 2.0 where there are no settings at all (I know we are still talking about a beta release here) just seemed like something was really wrong.

Again, i'm not used to programs being so simple that you don't even have to touch anything for it to work so what you are doing here is awesome :)

• Like 1