Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Cloud tunnel/Sync

I sometimes have to VPN into an alternate network on one of my machines. Would be nice if the connection between Client/Server could go through a cloud services or something so that they can remained connected.  Maybe test for local connections every x seconds, and if one doesn't exist, attempt to connect via the internet/cloud.  When connected with cloud, still try to connect locally (for better reliability/speed). Essentially, it would fail over to the cloud service.

Paul Suarez

Hi @EdHayes3. That actually depends on your VPN service, if it allows communication with devices on your LAN while connected to it. It would be best if you contact your VPN service provider and verify with them if you can set it to allow communication with devices on your LAN.

Paul Suarez
6 hours ago, EdHayes3 said:

Its a corporate VPN, I cannot change any settings.

Depending of what type of VPN service you are using, there might be some settings that can be changed. It may be done on your end or on an administrators end. If you have an IT department or an IT service desk that you can check with, it would be great if you can check with them if they can do such changes. I apologize but we can't do any changes on the software end for it to work on a secured VPN network.

One question though @EdHayes3. Let's say your machine can connect to both wired and wireless network at the same time, does your VPN service encrypt both networks when its running? If not, it might be possible for you to connect to both wired and wireless networks on that machine and let your VPN service use one of the network types. Then you can try to set Synergy to run on the other network type that the VPN doesn't encrypt. If I may ask as well, what VPN software are you using? or is it a hardware VPN that you use?

Paul Suarez
1 minute ago, EdHayes3 said:

The Cisco Anyconnect software tunnels everything through the VPN from what I can tell.

I see. I guess the best thing to do is to ask either your IT department or Cisco support if you can set it to allow communication with computers on your LAN while AnyConnect is running.

VPN Client and AnyConnect Client Access to Local LAN Configuration Example
That link might be helpful for you or your IT department if they allow you that LAN communication while AnyConnect is running. ;)