Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

"Server Refused Client" & "Failed to Connect"

Filibogado

Synergy has been running smoothly for the last several days until this morning when I turned it on and got the following message"

1. "ERROR: server refused client with name "Fernandos-Mini.fios_router.home"

2. "Failed to connect to server: server refused client with our name"

On the server screen, I notice the mouse would fall off the right edge but would not enter the second PC's screen.

Attached is my log file.

I would appreciate help. This is used for stock market trading so your usual prompt reply would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Fernando

Paul Suarez

Hi @Filibogado. Please provide more details about your machines (OS, 32/64 bit, Synergy version installed, connected to the network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, specify which one is the server). Also, post a screenshot of both machine's Synergy interface and the Server Configuration interface on your server machine.

Filibogado

Paul:

Server is Windows 10 PC 64- bit running latest Synergy version

Client is Apple Mac Mini running MACOS Sierra V. 10.12.5 and latest Synergy

The symptoms are:

1. On the MAC client, Synergy says "starting" and is stuck, never going to "running"

2. When I opened the server configuration, I noticed only one screen(server) - the 2nd screen (client) had disappeared so I added a new client screen which is on the attached screen shot.

I wonder what caused the client screen icon to vanish from the server configuration layout without me doing anything to it.

MacMini Screen Shot - Client.png

Windows PC Screen Shot - server.png

Windows PC Screen Shot PC.png

Filibogado

Also connected to the Verizon FIOS router using CAT5 Ethernet fiber optic cable. All other programs run normally except Synergy.

Filibogado

I never change the SSL certificate. I do not even know where or how to turn it on or off. I will follow whatever your recommendation is.

Filibogado

Attached is a screenshot of the server settings for the Windows 10 PC server.  There is no "settings'' tab for the Edit drop-down menu on the MAC client. The only choice is "Emoji & Symbols".

Both MAC and Windows computers are running Synergy Version 1.8.8-stable-25a8cb2 with Build Date of Thursday, March 16, 2017.

Windows 10 PC Server Settings.png

Filibogado

Just like I said above:

When I click "Edit", the only option is: :

1. "Emoji & Symbols"

Wen I click "File", the options are:

1."Start"

2. "Activate"

3. "Save Configuration File"

That's it - no more options other than the above.

Paul Suarez

Can you try to check each option on your Mac and look for Settings or any button that would lead you to have another box opened that looks the same as what you have posted from your windows machine?

Filibogado

What I gave you are all the options I found on the MAC. Maybe the program got corrupted. I will do a clean reinstall by deleting the program and reinstalling it. Should I do the reinstall on both machines or just on the MAC? Do I need to do extra steps like deleting any configuration files separately or will the reinstallation process take care of that?

Paul Suarez

For Mac machines, configuration files are saved on a separate location, though it mostly shouldn't matter.

Filibogado

I did a clean re-install of Synergy on both machines. Synergy is back up and running again after the re-install. I suspect that it was the program on the Windows 10 PC server that was corrupted because I remember seeing the configuration screen icon representing the MAC client screen vanishing from the server grid when I first encountered the problem.

Thank you for your support nd assistance.

Fernando

• 4 years later...

I've used synergy for years. When it works it is one of the best productivity tools on  the market. But ... beware that the slightest modification to a Mac or Ubuntu machine makes it the biggest time waster on the market. And ... contacting symless support or using this forum increases the time you waste.