Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy doesn't create missing log folders

SynergyFan

Reviewing the forums this seems to be a common issue. I see people have reporting success by disabling SSL (which I really don't want to do because I log into a lot of websites and don't want passwords sent cleartext) or downgrading. I am using 1.8.8-stable-25a8cb2 on a dual display Dell Windows 8.1 laptop (server) and a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 10 dual display system with the typecover closed so only using the external display (client). Periodically the mouse will become chopping, hesitant, or frozen for a half second to several seconds or more. It feels like other processes may be using resources that Synergy needs. Things may work great for an hour or my usage just isn't enough to notice, whereas at other times I am fighting to get control for seconds or a minute.

I saw where some folks had complained that Synergy may have been using Wi-Fi instead of LAN interfaces. I have disabled Wi-Fi on the Windows 10 system so I know that's not the issue today however if I need to be concerned about this, I would like to know how to configure this as I prefer not to have to toggle Wi-Fi and let the OS automatically handle LAN/Wi-Fi interface prioritization. Do I just put the local interface IP address in the "interface" field for Edit > Settings > Interface? Both of these systems are connected to the same switch on my desk. The switch in turn is connected to a router and then a cable modem to the Internet. BTW, what is the "Elevate" field used for in this same window?

Also I found a bug. Enabling Synergy's logging will not work until the "log" folder it's configured for is created. Only then will it create the log file and begin logging.

What can I do to eliminate this problem? All ideas are welcome. Thank you!

Hi SynergyFan,

Thanks for this post! I was just about to make a similar one. I'm using a Windows PC as the Server/Client, using its mouse and keyboard to work with my Macbook.

I've definitely experienced this choppy, laggy mouse issue. However, I've noticed a correlation between the Macbook's "Location Services" running, and the lag. Whenever the "Location Services" icon pops up in my menu bar (setting the timezone, or pulling my location for the 'Find My Friends' app, or others), the mouse begins to lag. Though this isn't the case every time. Sometimes the mouse will lag with no apparent reason.

For a while, I experienced a constant disconnect, as reported by the log. Disabling SSL as you mentioned resolved that, but now I'm frustrated I can't use the one feature that sets this version apart from the cheaper version.

I should note that i'm on WiFi, and not connected through LAN. Though my Macbook, PC, and router are all within one foot of each other.

Edited by Ramzi
Paul Suarez
1 hour ago, SynergyFan said:

I would like to know how to configure this as I prefer not to have to toggle Wi-Fi and let the OS automatically handle LAN/Wi-Fi interface prioritization.

Hi @SynergyFan.

What you can do is to set an interface where your computer will be looking for or will be listening to for the other computer's request to connect.

Do this on both of your machines.

1. On Synergy's user interface, click Edit
  2. Click Settings
  3. Use the IP address of that machine where you want it to listen or look for the other machine, type it in the box next to Interface
  4. Click OK
  5. Click Apply or Start

what is the "Elevate" field used for in this same window?

This is for running Synergy as elevated or running as an administrator. 

Also I found a bug. Enabling Synergy's logging will not work until the "log" folder it's configured for is created. Only then will it create the log file and begin logging.

What can I do to eliminate this problem?

After enabling logs for Synergy, you have the option to set it where you want the logs to be saved to. If in case that there are certain limitations on your machine about creating a folder on it (or some parts of it), why (let alone how) would you initially set/route Synergy to save the log file on that folder?

• Like 1
SynergyFan

Paul, I think maybe I didn't explain the bug properly. The default path doesn't exist. Specifically the "log" folder. Also the path was "/" for unix when it was installed on a Windows machine. Anyway, even after I corrected to "\" the log wasn't created once logging was enabled until I actually created the "log" folder. There wasn't an error. It just didn't create the log until I manually created the log file. The point being that as Synergy is configured and installed by default, on my Windows system, when I enabled logging Synergy did not log anything. Another person may not realize the log subdirectory needs to be created manually.

Anyway, I've gone and added the IP addresses to the interface field and applied the change. It's still choppy. How do I eliminate this problem?

Thank you.

Paul Suarez

Hi @SynergyFan. Can you open a new issue in GitHub for it to be checked thoroughly by our developers? You can open a new issue here.

For the lag/delay/choppy issue, can you confirm if you have third party firewall or file security software on your machines that might affect Synergy?

• Paul Suarez changed the title to Synergy doesn't create missing log folders