Hello! đź‘‹

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

macOS Touch Bar soft keys not transmitting

Dustin Simpson

Recently upgraded my Symless server machine to a MacBook Pro with touch bar.

The soft escape key along with function keys don't get sent to clients. So doing things like vi becomes a bit of a challenge.

Attached image shows escape key down and key up event on the server from the touch bar.  Doubt that helps as it is identical to what is produced on a regular keyboard.

Any help is appreciated.

unnamed.png

Dustin Simpson

@Paul Suarez, thank you for the quick reply.  That is disappointing.  I can live without function keys, but the escape key not transmitting is huge as I am sure you can imagine.

I will see what I can do about key mappings or something.

I appreciate your time. Keep up the great work.  Love the product. 

Paul Suarez

You're welcome @Dustin Simpson. You can also try to remap the keys alternatively first. 

Here’s how.

1. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences, and click on Keyboard.
  2. Click the Keyboard tab if it’s not active, and then click the Modifier Keys button on the lower right.
  3. In the pop-up window that appears, select your keyboard from the “Select keyboard” pop-up menu at the top.
  4. You’ll see a list of four keys: Caps Lock, Control, Option, and Command. You can reassign one of those keys to act as the Escape key. You may not want to select the Command key, since it’s frequently used for keyboard shortcuts. You may not want to use Control or Option, either, for the same reason. Pick a key you want to reassign, then click on the pop-up menu to the right of that key, Select Escape.
  5. Click OK. You can also quit System Preferences.

Taken from: How to bring back a physical Escape key on the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar - Macworld

Dustin Simpson

@Paul Suarez, hope you are well.

Just thought I would follow up after a couple work days using the changes I made to 
src/lib/platform/OSXScreen.mm

It is working great with no negative repercussions with my machines....

After doing some more research on Quartz events I think that not trapping the 0x1D (unclassified gesture) event is the way to go.  When that event isn't trapped then the other events (keyup, keydown) are produced.  So, I think my "hack" is closer to the correct fix than I originally had thought it might be.

• Like 1
Paul Suarez

Hi @Dustin Simpson. I actually have endorsed it to our developers and they are checking it further. Thanks for sharing this wonderful workaround (currently). Keep rockin'! ;)

• 1 year later...
Dustin Simpson

@Nick Bolton I hate to bug, I know you are super busy these days...  This workaround that I submitted (https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/issues/5845) is still working very well for me.

I just checked the repo for 1.10.0-stable and it looks like nothing has been done to deal with the Mac touch bar.  Is that correct?  If not then I would like to mention that for the last year my half ass fix has been working.  :)

Keep up the great work, I am following you on twitter and look forward to the success of your company. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Dustin Simpson

Oh my goodness!  I was away on holiday when you sent this and then completely spaced it.  Still want to RP?  I will get it done!

• Like 1