Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Trackpad Swiping Problems

James Everton
Hi all, I've been using a Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit desktop as my Synergy server and a Dell Latitude Windows 7 64-bit laptop as my Synergy client happily for quite a while now. Until recently, it was working wonderfully with my wireless mouse and keyboard. Unfortunately, when I decided to get an Apple Magic Trackpad and use that as my server's mouse, it started up some issues that I'm having a hard time tracking down. On my server, the trackpad works just great; it moves, it clicks, it scrolls, and more importantly, it scrolls left and right as well as up and down. When I move over to the Windows 7 client, however, the left and right two-finger swipe gestures don't scroll left and right, but instead they seem to be hitting "alt+left" and "alt+right." This has the habit of sending my browser sessions flying through my history at an accidental left swipe because of this very sensitive touchpad. Additionally, I can't scroll left and right on pages without using the scroll bar at the bottom of an application. I understand that this might not be an issue with Synergy's client application but I also understand that you guys probably have a MUCH better idea of what could be happening to cause the two-finger left/right swipe gestures to be activating the back/forward actions (alt+left and alt+right, I think). If you could please provide me any help on how to get my left and right scrolling back, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks, - James
Ben Koenig
Hi James, I bet this is an issue with Linux vs. Windows button mapping. You might be able to rebind alt+left/right in Windows to recreate the functionality you want. Hope you find this useful! -Ben
James Everton
Hi Ben, I think you're right about the mapping issue so I dug in further and found out that the swipe-left and swipe-right actions of the touchpad are getting mapped into mousebutton 4 and mousebutton 5. Those are usually back and forward buttons on more complex mice and Windows is treating them as such. I enabled the debug1 logging and I see this for the scroll-left and scroll-right actions: [quote]DEBUG1: recv mouse down id=4 DEBUG1: recv mouse up id=4 DEBUG1: recv mouse down id=5 DEBUG1: recv mouse up id=5[/quote] At this point, I realize that Linux treats the 4 and 5 mouse buttons differently than Windows so I think I'm left with two options: (1) Disable mousebutton(4) and mousebutton(5) somehow in the Synergy client, or (2) Re-map the mousebutton(4) to be "shift+scrollUp" and re-map mousebutton(5) to be "shift+scrollDown" since that appears to do the left-scroll and right-scroll in Windows. I found this page in the wiki ([url]http://synergy-project.org/wiki/Text_Config#Actions[/url]) about how to re-map buttons but since Synergy doesn't seem to allow scrollUp and scrollDown actions, I'm trying to go with option 1. Now I just need to figure out how to get Synergy config files to work!
Ben Koenig
Synergy doesn't seem to have control over the keymapping of your Operating System. I was thinking more along the lines of doing it within the confines of the client OS itself, separate from Synergy. I thought the keybindings in Synergy's GUI are for custom actions such as switching between client and server, etc? This is good FYI on the Windows-to-Linux mouse button behavior though.