Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Install Error - Network vs. Local Drive

I am trying to install Synergy on my client computer and I'm getting an error telling me that the installation directory must be on a local hard drive, but I am attempting to do exactly that. I've tried on 2 different local drives (C & D), one shared one not, and different locations on those drives. I've also tried both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions to no avail. Both machines are running windows 10 and I am using the latest version (1.8). Making this more confusing is that the install worked just fine on my server computer. I should also probably note that I was running the installer file from the same local drive that I was trying to install to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've included a screenshot of the error.

Thanks!

595d02d65d218_SynergyError.thumb.png.067a2baaec637f3374a3229d3a4cb321.png

It was saved on each respective local drive in the Downloads folder. The D drive is definitely a local drive, I have it shared with another computer on my network, but the drive is physically in the laptop.

I will try relocating the installer to a different folder just to be safe. Any suggestions if that doesn't fix it?

Paul Suarez

I understand @Dylan. Can you try to stop or pause the sharing of that drive first while you try to install? I'm thinking that it could be due to the other machine still has the permission for that file or the whole shared drive. Same thing as when you try to open or delete a file which is opened on another program(say Word), it won't let you do it since Word still have it opened.

Hi Paul,

I retried the install with the sharing disabled on the drive and still had the same problem. To be safe, I re-downloaded the installer again too. Still no luck. Any other ideas on what might be the cause of the problem?

• 1 month later...

I've managed to find a way around the problem. I re-ran the installer when logged into the "local" account on my client machine (as opposed to one tied to a windows account) and the installer ran without a problem! Thanks for the help!

• Like 1