Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Feedback on Ubuntu desktop

Hi Synergy team,

I am suffered from connection unstable/disconnected problems with the Synergy beta2.

Description:

From UI, I am assuming Synergy removes the client/server concept and an user can use any connected input devices on different computers, If not please do ignore following.

So, when I try to use computer A's mouse with computer B's keyboard between two connected computers, the connection become fragile and the input device behaviour become unexpected with no clear error logs on the console.

Environment:

• Desktop:
    • Ubuntu 16.10
    • GNOME Shell 3.20.4
    • synergy_2.0.0.beta2-b418+9e1c9d3f_amd64.deb
  • Laptop
    • Ubuntu 16.10
    • GNOME Shell 3.20.4
    • synergy_2.0.0.beta2-b418+9e1c9d3f_amd64.deb

Reproduce steps:

1. Init Synergy on both computers
  2. Assume connection has been setup successfully
  3. Use computer1's  mouse with computer2's keyboard

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Ah! Interesting scenario! Yes, Synergy 2 now auto-detects which keyboard and mouse to share (based on which one is being used). In your case, perhaps we need a setting so that the user can switch to manual control?

Hi Nick,

I like the idea Synergy 2 for auto-detecting input devices very much. I wouldn't say that there is a necessary to add manual control for switching back. But I would like to see there is a more robust connection between computers when using any of connected input devices to these computers.

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Totally, right now it's pretty temperamental since it's an experimental feature. It actually shuts down the Synergy core and restarts it every time it switches (not very efficient). We're going to re-architecture this so that it quickly switches between client and server behind the scenes (so you don't notice it happening).

So how come you need to use computer A's mouse with computer B's keyboard?

I was using my laptop (no mouse connected) editing some Google docs with Synergy connected to my desktop. I was trying to drag-n-drop a drawing, so I used the desktop mouse instead of laptop trackpad unintentionally, and my two computers are disconnected. My most concert is, in my environment, the connection never come back after I got disconnected this way.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Got it, so you kind of naturally switch between each computer's input devices?

I think the new UI brings me the feeling that I can use any input devices combination I want. I mean the changes of Synergy 2 look great. But, if that is not the concept the new UI wanna bring to users, maybe color the block to different one, explicitly let user knowing which computer's mouse and keyboard it's using might help some.

Thanks

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Interesting. We hadn't considered being able to mix devices from different computers. I'll get the guys together and have a chat about this.

• 2 weeks later...
rlonstein

I would appreciate the option of marking a "primary" system and input devices so that occasional input from the "secondaries" doesn't switch control. I sometimes use the input devices on the secondaries directly and the lag when Synergy beta switches then switches back is distracting.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

We probably won't be adding an option to turn auto-switching off. When we finish this feature and make it stable, you won't even notice that it's auto-switching. The only reason you're seeing a lag/instability is that it's a highly experimental first iteration of the feature. We're also implementing a new network layer so that switching won't cause a network reconnect.