Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Run as administrator/ Open "services"/ Startup

Roadworrier

Hi, in another thread there's a suggestion to run Synergy as Administrator. I see I need access Synergy2.exe in Program Files to do this, and then it works to right-click and Run As Administrator. (I can't run the shortcut as administrator. The Shortcut that launches Synergy has "Run as administrator" greyed out. )

Indeed running as Administrator allows me to use "Services.msc" on computer I connect to. (I have to use F12 on the server machine to get things to work.) So I think you probably want to default to have Synergy run in administrator mode.

Question: how do I set Synergy to come up automatically on a reboot running as administrator? (When using Mouse Without Borders, I never need to touch the other computer's keyboard, I just move my mouse over and can key in my login after a reboot, as MWB runs as a service.)

I tried setting Synergy as a startup item on a W7 box, with the shortcut set to run as Administrator, in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup... I can see it there with msconfig, but it doesn't seem to start up or work (don't see it in Task Manager). I still needed to go to c:\Program Files\Synergy and right click Synergy2.exe to run as administrator to get it to work.. (followed by F12 on host W10 box)

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

> Hi, in another thread there's a suggestion to run Synergy as Administrator. 

Please don't do that. It shouldn't be necessary. Who recommended this?

Roadworrier
15 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

It was @Paul Suarez .

For everyone following this thread. If you have Windows machine, can you try opening Synergy v2 as an administrator?

-------------- end comment from endless progress bar thread -----

OK, so if we're not supposed to be doing this, how do we do things like access services and event viewer?

Roadworrier

I guess perhaps I should also ask the question more directly: is there any plan to support Synergy starting on system boot? If so, how do I do it for Windows? For OSX? (I use Linux too, but always as a virtual machine, I never boot into Linux as my primary OS.)

RoadworrierP
6 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

We are handling UAC and elevation in beta3 (coming in around 2-3 weeks), please wait until then.

OK, great!

And as far as startup on boot, that's not in the plan?

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

This doesn't seem to be working in beta-4. When I reboot my Win10 machine the service starts, and I get the following two processes:

• synergyd.exe
  • synergy-service-controller.exe

But I can't move my cursor from this machine to my OSX machine. I still have to manually go into Programs > Synergy2.exe which opens the GUI and then it works (even after I close the program). Doing this launches the missing process that seems to make everything work:

• synergys.exe

On my Mac, I never have to manually start anything (after initial 2.0 installation) - it just works - even after rebooting my Mac and PC.

UncleOilybag
On 08/10/2017 at 4:02 PM, atwixtor said:

This doesn't seem to be working in beta-4. When I reboot my Win10 machine the service starts, and I get the following two processes:

• synergyd.exe
  • synergy-service-controller.exe

But I can't move my cursor from this machine to my OSX machine. I still have to manually go into Programs > Synergy2.exe which opens the GUI and then it works (even after I close the program). Doing this launches the missing process that seems to make everything work:

• synergys.exe

On my Mac, I never have to manually start anything (after initial 2.0 installation) - it just works - even after rebooting my Mac and PC.

Similar problems with me - using Linux as server, and Win10 as client.

I have put a Synergy2 shortcut in the Startup folder so it sort of starts automatically ( but not until I have manually logged in to Windows on the 2nd machine)

Sadly, I ran out of time to play with this, and had to get back to work, so I uninstalled and rolled back to 1.8. This functionality is a must for me, so I'll be waiting til the new version has it. 

UncleOilybag

Using Linux Mint Mate as server, and Windows 10 as client I have Synergy2 working.... semi automatically! Only one keyboard & mouse required.

Basically because I'me talking about 2 home computers (not work stuff) so I set Windows 10 to start without the login screen ( not advised if you're using it at work) - and put Synerg2 desktop app short cut in the startup folder - so my Windows computer (client)  just needs switching on.   When I do this then Synergy (the service) is automatically running, and so is Synergy the desktop app.

Now my Linux computer -when I turn  that on, there is no synergy running. But then I've created a desktop shortcut which basically runs  " /usr/bin/synergyd " - so I click on that and then both computers are talking to each other. No need to open the Linux Synergy GUI at all. I've tried automating this but for some reason if this starts before the client has got going it won't work.

{ on  Linux the system monitor shows 2 programs running - synergys and synergyd.   In fact you can close/stop the synergd one and things still carry on working)

• Like 1

Same  here, Beta4 and not working at reboot, cannot move mouse from server screen to the recently booted machine, after I logon with a directly connected keyboard and run Synergy 2, it's good.

Windows 7 server

Windows 10 keyboardless machine

Thank you

31 minutes ago, Zucky said:

Same  here, Beta4 and not working at reboot, cannot move mouse from server screen to the recently booted machine, after I logon with a directly connected keyboard and run Synergy 2, it's good.

Windows 7 server

Windows 10 keyboardless machine

Thank you

This is not good info, doesn't work at all if bot the server and the slave machines reboot, just doesn't work at all.

I've reverted back as I can't even use Beta4.

21 hours ago, Zucky said:

This is not good info, doesn't work at all if bot the server and the slave machines reboot, just doesn't work at all.

I've reverted back as I can't even use Beta4.

You need to recycle the Synergy service after each reboot. I've had to do that the whole past week since upgrading to get my home PC to connect to my work laptop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/10/2017 at 11:58 AM, Nick Bolton said: