Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

SSL Fingerprints don't match

The SSL Fingerprints on my Windows computer and the Mac computer I'm using do not match.  I do not see a way to change these to match each other.  Originally the SSL Fingerprint on the Mac showed something different.  After uninstalling and reinstalling hoping to get an option to enter one it no longer appears.  How can I resolve it?  

Thank you,

LizOpenSSL_error.thumb.jpeg.163740954a851051f793a78fc36799f9.jpeg

Paul Suarez

Please provide more details about your machines (OS, 32/64 bit, Synergy version installed, connected to the network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, specify which one is the server). Also, post a screenshot of both machine's Synergy interface and the Server Configuration interface on your server machine.

Server:  Windows 10 Enterprise, 64 bit

Version: 1.8.8-stable-25a8cb2

Ethernet connection

Client:  Mac OS 10.12.5

Version: 1.8.8-stable-25a8cb2

Ethernet connection

Client_Settings.jpeg

Client_Mac.jpeg

Server_Settings.JPG

Server_Configuration.JPG

Server_Windows.JPG

Paul Suarez

It seems that Synergy on both machines was not able to generate an SSL fingerprint. First, can you confirm that you wanted to use Synergy with SSL encryption switched on or off.

I thought SSL made it more secure.  That's why I chose to use that option.  I've never had issues with configuring it with SSL encryption before.  I unchecked SSL on both the Windows server and the Mac client and attached a screenshot from each.

Thank you,

Liz

SSL_off_Windows.JPG

SSL_off_Mac.jpeg

Paul Suarez

I'm not sure if you have stopped Synergy on both of your machines but we can try to turn it on again now that's turned off. But we might be better checking if both machines see and can actually communicate over that network. Try to ping your server's IP address from the client machine. Then do the other way around and send us a screenshot of each ping test.

Proceed if they can both ping each other. Click the Stop button on each machine's Synergy interface. Then switch SSL back on but don't click Apply or Start. Just click OK for that change(s) you made to be saved. Then close Synergy interface on both. Give it 5-10 seconds, then relaunch/re-open Synergy. Make sure that an SSL Fingerprint is generated for both. Once successful, try connecting them again.

Let me know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm this must be where the problem is.  The Windows server can ping the Mac client, but the Mac client cannot ping the Windows server.  I'm not sure why though.  Both have IPs and previously communicated.

Thank you,

Liz

• 9 months later...
dragon788

I've noticed in the past that certain versions of Synergy 1.x don't always clean up the ~/.synergy/SSL/ directory (may be under Library on OSX) and so you need to find and delete the directory to really reset the SSL certificates for the next time you open/install Synergy.