Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

quotes and dbl-quotes not working

when i try to type a quote or a double qoute on my client it doesnt work.

There is just nothing happening when i try this.

Both client and server are running version 1.8.8 on Windows 10

Does anyone know what i can do to fix this?

Hi Paul, 

I use us-international on both machines. Is there a way I can generate a log file which would provide more information for you? 

Paul Suarez

Are you experiencing it only on the client machine? If so, please set the logging level for both machines to "Debug1" and send us the logs it generates when you try to type quotes and dbl-quotes.

*Before starting with the steps, make sure that both machine's Synergy is not running (stopped)

1. Click Edit (on top)
  2. Click Settings
  3. Set Logging level to Debug1
  4. Click OK
  5. Restart Synergy by closing and re-opening it

* Do the same steps on both machines before trying to reconnect

Paste your logs on Pastebin or Gist then post the link here.

Hi Paul, 

it only happens on the client indeed. On the master i am able to type quotes and double-quotes without a problem.

This is the log for the master: https://pastebin.com/UY35UU73  I removed the serial numbers. At the point where i typed a quote or double-quote there is a hook message in the log

This is the slave log: https://pastebin.com/B8NuBBcp It shows the message key 0022 is not on keyboard . I dont really know what to do with that :P

The problem for me exists both ways, if the slave and master are switched around the problem stays the same.

Paul Suarez

Do you have a secondary monitor on either of your machines? Please provide more details about your machines (OS, 32/64 bit, Synergy version installed, connected to the network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, specify which one is the server). Also, post a screenshot of both machine's Synergy interface and the Server Configuration interface on your server machine.

In the instance that i made the logs in, the server has a secondary screen.

Both machines are connected via Ethernet. Both run Windows 10 pro, 64 bit.

Synergy version for both is: 1.8.8-stables-25a8cb2

See attached screenshots.

client-interface.png

server-advanced.png

server-main.png

server-screens and links.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I had the exact issue as described by the OP with a Win10 Server and a Mac client.

Setting the keyboard layout to US only (not international) finally fixed the problem for me.

But other combinations, such as US International on both machines don't work and quotes dont register for me.

Could you please take care of this bug? 

Thanks!

On 15-7-2017 at 10:48 PM, Paul Suarez said:

Hi! Can you try changing keyboard layout on both machines to US only(not international)?

This does seem to work for me. What is the difference in US int and non int keyboard layouts?

• 2 years later...

Unfortunately this issue is still around,

Current setup
Windows 10 (server) - Keyboard Layout (US)
Windows 10 (client) - Keyboard Layout (US)

This works thanks to the workaround mentioned above.

Before I was running both machines with (US - International) and I was unable to use my quotes as well as (ctrl + `).

Before I was running the forked version Barrier, and had this issue as well. So I bought synergy in the hope the main creators had already fixed these issues.. but It seems still around. So this post purely serves as an user intensive to use fix this issue. So I hope it happens.

(Apart from this, great product keep up the good work).

• 1 year later...
TomWimmenhove

I'm having the same issue on a new (identical) laptop client. Is there a work-around? I'm a programmer, so I kind of need to use quotes a lot :) (What is special about the quote-key anyways?)

• 5 months later...
StephaneD

Hi, facing same issue with a mac-mini 2018 intel as server and macbook pro 13 m1 as client

Using Synergy 1.14.3-stable-218fa800 on both computers

Using indeed US - international keyboard BUT switching to US only will not cut the deal 'coz I am typing in English/French and Spanish.

As such I do need my é è à ç ñ etc...

Is there a plan to handle US - international on Synergy 1 or is this part of Synergy 3 ?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions. Meanwhile gonna mop the floor while crying switching to US keyboard...

• 1 year later...

The issue is still around, end 2023, for me. I am still on Synergy 1; could upgrading to 3 help? My client machine is provided to me by the company who hired me, and I do not have admin rights on it. Upgrading to Synergy 3 requires pre-approval so is not a light-weight task, unfortunately. 

It was working for me on the Synergy 3 but I recently updated it and cant use quotes anymore, any solutions? (I really need to use US international)

Edited by Pedrinhow