Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Snap-to-grid/alignment issue

Environment: Two (2) Win10 machines (2560x1600 and 2560x1440) and one (1) RHEL 7 server at 900x1440 (portrait).

I am unable to get the three machines lined up horizontally.   Any two will line up but the 3rd will either snap above or below.  If aligned close enough, it will snap to the middle display.  If this happens with the 900x1440 display, it will throw an error:

"..cannot read configuration blah-blah-path/synergy.conf : read error: line 31: overlapping range" 

I am able to set two horizontal and the 3rd above or below.  

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

@Paul Suarez He doesn't need to upload his logs, as you can see he's shared the error...

"..cannot read configuration blah-blah-path/synergy.conf : read error: line 31: overlapping range" 

You know about this one, right?

This morning things are a bit more wack-nut with the one-up and one-right config not working (was ok last week).  I'd like to start over fresh with my cloud-bits wiped out.  Can you make this happen?

What logic/rules apply regarding positioning?  Can the icons be made to reflect the relative resolution of the represented display?

Paul Suarez
9 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

You know about this one, right?

I have an idea about it @Nick Bolton, but I'll need to see a few lines before and after that "cannot read configuration" error. That's because there are multiple instances why that appears.

Editing this...

10 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

@Paul Suarez Here's the smoking gun. The issue actually isn't a networking problem (if only Synergy would say this!!!). The problem is a bug in the config UI code which generates a bad config when the screens aren't perfectly aligned (and since the screen snapping code is a pile of crap, that happens a lot).

@Jamesafluke The workaround is to try and align the screens perfectly. You can also try reordering the screens and move them around until you don't see that error on your main computer anymore. Let us know if that doesn't work and we can try some more workarounds!

@MrMoto, please try the steps provided by Nick above. ^

I changed some resolutions and layouts and was finally able to get things aligned horizontally.   I had to go between the instances a couple of times and "claim server" but for a few minutes, everything was green.   Current setup:

WinPC(A) 1280x1600 ; RHEL(B) 1280x1024 ; WinPC(C) 3840x2160.

Mouse/KB between the machines is currently working despite issue described below.  When using directly connected mouse of Client (C) , Client (A) will show progress bar and log entries on (C) indicate that Client (A) has disconnected then a warning that a client with that name is already connected.  Client (A) log indicates that server already has a connected client with that name.  Mouse/KB between the machines is currently working despite issue described above.

NOTE:  Using the mouse/kb of Client (C) works fine across the three clients.  Using the mouse/kb attached to either (A) or (B) results in odd behavior - but that is an issue for another day....

Paul Suarez
7 hours ago, MrMoto said:

Using the mouse/kb of Client (C) works fine across the three clients.  Using the mouse/kb attached to either (A) or (B) results in odd behavior - but that is an issue for another day....

Hi @MrMoto. That's because when you click using a client's mouse or when you press any keys on a client's keyboard triggers that client to be the server. It grabs the server seat. We are seeing a number of customer's having problem with switching roles when that happens. What you can do though is to press F12 on the server machine while Synergy's interface is up.