Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Mac client lag -- Correlation between Mac OS X "Location Services" running, and client lag?

Hi everyone!

I've been experiencing a lot of lag recently -- it's becoming extremely frustrating, and is severely impacting my workflow.

I've noticed a correlation between the Macbook "Location Services" being used, and the input lag. The "Location Services" function is utilized intermittently to check timezones, and my Macbook's location, among other uses. The "Location Services" icon appears in the menu bar at the top of the screen when in use (as a little arrow icon).

I should note that I still experience lag when this icon isn't visible -- but there are noticeable spikes in latency when it's being utilized.

There are no error messages to speak of from the Log for either computer when latency is present. Let me know if you'd like me to share that information anyways.

I utilize a PC (Windows 7 Enterprise) as the Server, and my Macbook Pro (OSX Sierra) as the client. Both computers are 64-bit.

The Server PC is connected via LAN, while the Mac is connected over Wi-Fi (router 2ft away from both computers).

Running Synergy Pro V1.88-stable-25a8cb2 on both computers. I've tried V1.9-rc3, but it doesn't function at all on either computer.

SSL is disabled on both computers.

Screenshots for both the PC and Mac attached.

I've followed this thread, but there was no resolution. Same goes for similar threads posted on the Symless forums.

Let me know if there's anything else you need from me.

Thanks!

sUJpPFI.png

PC.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 2.05.32 PM.png

Paul Suarez

There could really be a slight difference connecting machines when the other one is on a wireless network while the other one is on wired. Though both network comes from the same router, there might be a split second delay when it passes the switch from wired side and the wireless side of the network. Plus the fact that most wireless access points today is still using the traditional way of broadcasting, it broadcasts the data in all directions.

But there's actually a better way of broadcasting on wireless network. It's called "Beamforming." With beamforming, the router determines where your device (laptop, smartphone, tablet, or whatever else) is located and projects a stronger signal in that specific direction. This might greatly help with communicating over the same network with one on wired and one on the wireless side of the network.

Before we dig deeper in to this, can you verify if the screenshots you posted came from v1.9? or is it from v1.8.8?

Also what do you mean by this(quoted below)?

1 hour ago, Ramzi said:

I've tried V1.9-rc3, but it doesn't function at all on either computer.

Do you mean having them both on v1.9 doesn't let them connect at all?

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick reply. My thoughts were that if this was a wireless/WiFi issue, I would have experienced it throughout my time using Synergy. But the issue has only popped up within the last month or so. I want to say it was timed with a recent OSX update, but I can't be sure.

As it turns out, my router supports Asus' version of beamforming, "AiRadar". Though after some quick Googling just now, I'm reading reports that disabling their beamforming settings may help with latency in general. I'm going to try that now.

The screenshots are from v1.8.8.

And the issues with v1.9 were abundant. The client and server wouldn't connect at all, and if I remember correctly, didn't play nicely with my Mac. I want to say I experienced some crashes.